• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
catbirdseat

Why aren't there very many black climbers?

This was hashed out here last year. Here were the results:

just wondering

Indeed it was. I did a search, but it was flawed and I didn't find it. Thanks.

Anyway, given the same topic, one seldom gets the same thoughts and opinions. There have been some interesting stories and observations.

ChrisT, I was responding to minx, not you.

1) Trask you're comments are so stunningly offensive I can't believe you posted them publicly

See? BTW, you know I only say nice things to you, in hopes of seeing more 'yoga' photos in future!

I think Minx is on to something.

Maybe a control would be in order. Take a sampling of blacks and whites who all had equal exposure from parents or roll models and then check out the results.

I was born in a house built by a Whitaker. Pops hung with Hornbein and had Ome Daiber working on the house ... drove me to Alaska in a VW van for 6 weeks when I was 7. My girlfriend blames him for my addictions.

No worries Rob - although you did have me worried there for a minute.

I guess I got a little confused. Let me look for another photo...

smile.gif

clue: I like pope a lot and I've got lots of "rhythm"...

A Horny homemaker using the "rhythm method" spells trouble to me! So how many ChrisT juniors you got runnin' 'round them parts anyways? I hear another large Catholic family on the way! Yoga pictures? How'd I miss that?

Nope just two - a boy and a girl. I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore and I gave up the rhythm method a loooooooooong time ago!

good one ryland. We used to tell some of the tourist chicks that our names were Huntington Pier, Sebastion Inlet, etc.

Did ya tell them your phone number was 867-5309 too? This actually worked on a double bagger we had the unfortunate privelege of meeting in a bar to get her away from us. Unfortunately Muffy, she was a blonde.....

I would NEVER fall for that and unfortunatly not all blond are as cute as me wink.gif

check your pm's ry tongue.gif

middle child, of three.

This is something I've thought about some. Before I got into climbing, my primary interest was bicycle racing, another lily-white sport. The only notable black guy I can think of in the sport was in the early 1900s, a famous racer named Major Taylor. (There was a track racer who was nationally prominent in the 1980's, Nelson Vails.)

It does seem like sports/interests are fairly segregated. As I think about it, I don't think I've ever noticed a black kid down at the local skate park, or in the pages of the one or two skateboard magazines I've looked at.

It could well be a lack of mentors, I suppose. My parents are the original non-outdoors types, but a guy I worked with (in a computer shop) got me interested.

But if you tend to hang out with people of your own socio-economic group, and your socio-economic group tends not to climb/bicycle/skateboard, chances are, you won't take it up.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

Dunno if you still skate or not, but DFA was down at a skate park in PDX recently (contemplating re-entering the most injurious sport ever after years of hiatus), and there were plenty of black kids kickflippin' and 50-50ing. Seems the Doctor recalls a good few of our African-American brethren in the mags, too, although definitely not a huge percentage.

Food for thought; not attackin' ya, FYI.