[TR] Dragontail Peak - Triple Couloirs 5/3/2015

bellows

Trip: Dragontail Peak - Triple Couloirs

Date: 5/3/2015

Trip Report:

Triple Couloirs was in hero shape on Sunday. Two beautiful pitches up the runnels and a fun pitch with solid ice in the second to third couloir transition. Bucket steps up the couloirs themselves eases the calf strain.

Nate G and I had our mind on Gerber-Sink on the hike in but in the early dawn it looked thin and we didn’t bring enough mojo. No regrets though, we heard some pretty big rockfall on the route while we were lounging at the bottom of the third couloir where the G-S joins it. Apparently there were two climbers (in blue jackets) on the route at some point during the day, hope they didn’t have to deal with the rockfall we heard.

Nice view of the route from the far side of the lake, taken on the way out:

IMG_48311.JPG

Easy entrance on the far left side:

IMG_4777.JPG

Friendly party of two ahead of us on the route. They were fun to chat with as we sporadically met up with them at belays.

IMG_4791.JPG

Bucket steps!

IMG_4805.JPG

Views of Stuart never get old:

IMG_48061.JPG

Colchuck Lake, melted out for travel:

IMG_4811.JPG

My second time on the route, a walk in the park compared to last year. What a difference conditions can make. If you've ever wanted to get on the route in cruiser conditions, now is the time.

Approach Notes:

Dirt trail to Colchuck lake. You can no longer cross the lake, but you can walk along the south edge of the lake on the beach/ice debris and avoid much of the boulder field.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Gerber Sink yesterday and things were just near perfect. However yesterday was much colder and coming off a couple of cold/storm days. I suspect things will be soft today through the weekend. You would probably be fine tomorrow on Triple Couloirs as it is more of a snow than ice climb. I would just go really early in the morning (we topped out at 9:30am in March when climbing Triple Couloirs). Good luck!

My guess is with clear nights and an early start it will still be in really good condition this weekend. Last weekend freezing levels were forecasted at 8-9000' but with clear skies and radiant cooling the snow & ice froze up really well all the way down to the lake.

Nice report -- I am the guy climbing at the base of the ice runnels in the third picture. Killer conditions and perfect weather. BTW -- my wife has a picture of you guys high up the route from the lake that I will post when I get it from her camera.

Jeff

Nate: Getting after it! Nice! I was up there a week ago and the Gerber-Sink looked a bit thin on the bottom then as well.

Thanks Smack! I need you to hurry up and come back, all my partners have left or are busy for the next couple weekends!