• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
sgraepel

[TR] Rainier - High Orbit; april 2015 4/21/2015

Trip: Rainier - High Orbit; april 2015

Date: 4/21/2015

Trip Report:

I posted an April trip on Rainier's High Orbit on Gear Junkie. You can read it here:

http://gearjunkie.com/high-orbit-gear-junkie-tackles-rainiers-hidden-route

This was fairly non-tech report but shoot me a line if you want more beta.

Gear Notes:

Standard skimo kit.

Approach Notes:

Wednesday. Skied from the Paradise lot to Camp Muir

Thursday. Side-stepped for nine hours down Emmons to Camp Schurman

Friday. Skied across the Carbon and Russell glaciers to Observation Point

Saturday. Down-climbed Ptarmigan Ridge via RMI route, then skied the Puyallup

Sunday. Icy ski up Puyallup, down climbed to the S. Tahoma, camped on Van Trumps

Monday. High-tailed it down the Wilson and to the parking lot

Very cool - I just ran into a guy/girl on the Wilson yesterday who were just finishing a similar traverse. Amazing - I didn't know people actually did this. They said the most difficult part was getting off the Puyallup Cleaver onto the Tahoma Glacier.

I believe it - we simply couldn't see what was below Ptarmigan through the mist.

Puyallup was super icy, though and the the normal route off at 9700 is probably now no longer (corniced up top, completely rotted out at the base). You have to climb past 10,000 and then scurry down a shit chute rolling out into crevasses. Or drop way below 7,000 and pot around at nearly tree-level.