At Least 10 Everest Climbers Killed

ilookeddown

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true of course, but as the old argument goes, do yuppies who got 10 minutes of training on a jumar before arriving in the khumbu get to claim the sobriquet of climber?

i assume at least some of those killed today on the mountain were guides - they of course get the honor of the title, though that's little comfort to a corpse...

Climbers?? All the press reports I have read said they were hikers. When it comes to Everest I think the press has it correct for once.

When earthquakes hit SE Asia the destruction will always be grave because so much of the building is unreinforced brick and concrete. And of course those same countries typically have poor infrastructure. Those in the remote areas will see little assistance as the immediate focus will be in Katmandu. It will be a grim spring for many ...

Including thousands of folks killed in Kathmandu, it is a sad day.

Even if the climbers were "yuppies" who would have been climbing on fixed lines, it is still sad. It's not like they did anything wrong or stupid. Just bad luck.

Most likely they were trekkers. I know quit a few folks that have done such treks. Middle class, sure. Professionals with jobs that allow them to go on a trek, sure. But "yuppies"... so crass and assinine (Ivan!). :tdown:

Let's hope all that are affected by this disaster get some relief.

But "yuppies"... so crass and assinine (Ivan!). :tdown:

that's my brand, but to be sure, we're all sayign basically the same thing - it's a tragedy and we hope there will be help for this afflicted nation - if, to do that, the media needs to focus on the plight of affluent westerners, so be it, but i would hope they play a faint second fiddle to the citizens of that fantastic land

But "yuppies"... so crass and assinine (Ivan!). :tdown:

that's my brand, but to be sure, we're all sayign basically the same thing - it's a tragedy and we hope there will be help for this afflicted nation - if, to do that, the media needs to focus on the plight of affluent westerners, so be it, but i would hope they play a faint second fiddle to the citizens of that fantastic land

Of course the people of that land are suffering more than the handful of visitors, but would the American (Western) population pay 1/10th of as much attention to this story if some of their own were not affected as well? Would cc.com'ers? I'm sure a few earthquakes have occurred over the years that have not elicited a peep on this forum because they occurred in an area climbers do not frequent. The fact that trekkers and climbers go to Nepal makes us care more about the place and people than if they did not. Just human nature.

Mother Earth can be cruel. Again, positive thoughts headed to all those there.

And maybe for once we can get together as a community and help in some real and meaningful way. How about we start a donation? This goes way beyond climbing. From the information we are getting now, not only Katmandu was effected, but entire small villages were pretty much wiped off the map. Monsoon will be there is a months.

Not to mention the thousands of folks killed in Kathmandu.

x2 - it's hard to cry about yuppies getting killed on bucket-list vacations at the best of times - sounds like a whole lot of normal folks got the chop today :(

There is a local guide company stuck above the icefall right now, let's try and be a little more sensitive about the situation.

The second video on this page has a pretty good synopsis of what is happening at base camp and at the camps above the icefall.

http://kdvr.com/2015/04/25/colorado-climbers-safe-after-ascending-mount-everest-during-nepal-earthquake/

And this page has more updates:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1972696/aftermath-everest

Edited by d0zer

Here's another article related to the climbing community in the PNW:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2015/04/27/4263507_three-whatcom-county-residents.html?rh=1

Jeannie is a big part of the Glacier/Mt Baker community and is a strong climber and ultra runner. I hope she checks in soon.

**Edited: I talked to her son and he said there wasn't ever a concern, her lack of communication was planned as she was in a remote area and checked in on time. News outlets, as usual, twisted the story for more emotional value.**

Edited by Jason4