Concealed or open carry while climbing?

num1mc

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's very little a 5.56mm/9mm primary/secondary loadout can't handle. Very mid-range for powerpower, but very high ammunition capacity and light weight. One can pack a slung Mk-18/CQBR (10.5" barreled/compact AR15 variation) at around 6lbs loaded with a Glock 17 secondary on a drop holster or high-mounted thigh-rig and have 47 rounds of accurate, high-velocity, combat-caliber ammo available for continuous firing before reload.

Obviously additional ammunition adds up in weight (loaded magazines will be considerably denser than the loaded weapons themselves - but ammo pays for itself, when hot brass is melting into the glacier), but I think most will be surprised at the amount of alpine enemies one can perforate for less than 10lbs of firepower.

Obviously additional ammunition adds up in weight (loaded magazines will be considerably denser than the loaded weapons themselves - but ammo pays for itself, when hot brass is melting into the glacier), but I think most will be surprised at the amount of alpine enemies one can perforate for less than 10lbs of firepower.

Good points. Have you heard anything about the Nobama administration and the Clintonistas outfitting snaffle hounds and marmots in flack jackets this summer?

Which do you prefer, and what caliber is best for rock climbing, big walls and alpine?

i can't tell if you're serious or not, but it depends. your load out should be designed for the situation.

for general purposes probably a titanium Kimber. but if you need to reach out and touch someone, probably a M2010.

One can pack a slung Mk-18/CQBR (10.5" barreled/compact AR15 variation) at around 6lbs loaded with a Glock 17 secondary on a drop holster or high-mounted thigh-rig and have 47 rounds of accurate, high-velocity, combat-caliber ammo available for continuous firing before reload.

My partner and I both carried exactly this setup on the N. Ridge of Stuart last summer and thought it was probably enough, although we obviously need to work on trigger discipline... by the time we were back in the basin we only had 10 rounds left between the two of us. Pretty unsettling to hike out Mountaineer's Creek with a depleted response capability.

NPS rangers prefer open carry when in dangerous duty locales such as Cascade Pass. Make sure your extra ammo and Taser is in full view as well, that keeps those surly climbers on their toes.

Full auto Glock all the way

What if you ran into a Mounties climbing party? They own that valley, and they travel in packs of 12. Ten rounds just wouldn't have cut it, you guys were lucky.

That would be scary, especially now that the USFS has grounded their gunship at Wenatchee