Mount Rainier with Nights on summit

schroden

Planning another Mount Rainier climb, with nights camping on/near the summit. No I an not crazy! I just like to have a good adventure, and share that with others who like similar adventures.

Tentative schedule would be early AM start day 1, alpine start and summit day 2, explore the summit zone day 3, (spend 2 nights on/near summit) descend day 4, and have day 5 is the optional wait-out-the-weather, climb or descend slower, spend more time at summit, or get off mountain and go play elsewhere. Looking at June 15-19 or 17-21. Did similar climb late last August, spending 4 days total, and had a great time! Didn't have nearly enough time to explore the summit features: East and West craters/crater rims, Liberty cap, Point success, Ice caves, Sunrise/Sunset... so figure we should just plan for 5 days with 2 nights at the summit and be more likely to come home even happier.

First choice on route would be Emmons/Winthrop from Sunrise entrance. This is the route we took last August, and it was really broken up! Expect it should be much nicer in June, even with a low snow year. Other options would be south side routes, but prefer to keep the DC route as a back-up only. I really don't like the crowds and cattle track, unless necessary.

Feel free to post here or PM me.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with May here and about 6 weeks to the proposed climb, we still have a space on the rope if anyone is interested! Need to get things firmed up, and reservation made. Will remain open to additions later on, space permitting.

Allan

Is there any more room left? I'm free all of June and the first week of July. I really like the idea of camping on the summit. I've done Hood a few times from the South Side and Shasta from the Hotlum Bolam and Avalanche Gulch.

So the dates are NOT set yet! Looking like June 17-21 is looking better for most of us.

Anyone who wants to get in on the fun, gotta just send me a PM with your e-mail or contact information and we will proceed form there!

Allan

Edited by schroden

• 4 weeks later...

So the date is set, Monday June 15-Friday the 19th (unless we get down Thursday).

Remain open to anyone interested (and capable) of this climb. Have had a larger then expected number of climbers have work/family/schedule conflicts.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: We did climb this week. Route was quite slushy, with some sketchy crevase crossings, though the route was still fairly direct. Weather was ideal, with no extreme cold temps, and reasonable winds, all things considered. Though summit was achieved, we were not able to spend the time there that we desired. Hoping to try again another year.

Allan