Overnight at muir

Seymour22688

Alright not a huge undertaking but I have some rookie questions. I'm planning a comb for late April early May. Snow pants ski coat mre's some other food a mummy sleeping bag and a two man mountaineerin tent and a deck of cards. What else is required or recommended for an overnight at muir? Second question I am in good shape active gym rat with tons of high intensity cardio. I have done a climb to muir before when I was not in as good of shape but I live at sea level is an overnight dangerous from zero to 10,000 in one day. I have lived at altitudes orotund 7,000 for months at a time without anything but being short of breath. Thanks for your help.

-Andy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bring a stove and pot to melt snow. only saying this as you didn't mention it but you were kinda extensive in your list.

I am also mentioning it cause my first overnight at muir, I did not bring a stove but 2 liters of OJ for 2 days. not enough and I got pretty sick overnight. burning white gas in a pan for heat and light in the hut did not help either.

the hut may be a good choice in late april.

• 2 weeks later...

Know how to dig a snow cave. Multiple people have died on the Muir snowfield in spring storms just because they didn't know how to dig a snow cave. Maybe you can put up your tent in a 50 mph wind, but it's better to be able to dig a snow cave if necessary.

Also have some reliable means of navigation, it's very easy to get lost in a white out because there are large areas with no landmarks.

The mountain makes it's own weather and it can come in fast. The forecast can be inaccurate. You get lost and have no shelter, a recipe for disaster.

The combined colder temps of altitude, wind chill, and a storm. The last one I remember was two women and a man. They dug a pit, (sort of like a grave) and the two women got in the bottom and the guy got on top to cover them. He died of exposure.

Here is an article that you may find helpful with links to downloadable maps and suggested gear lists: http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=507227&confirm_post=7

I remember reading this before I successful walked up Rainier. Before I even met DPS in person. Hey Dan, do you mind expending it to include curtis ridge? As long as we have an excitable boy guide from SP we have no way to fail.

Alright we made our attempt yesterday with no success we went with crampons and should have takin snow shoes!! It was very warm and the snow was soft sunk into our hip a lot so we where soaked which is fine for a day hike but we called it off overnight. We each had a pack with 50ish pounds so we sweated profusely. We called it off at panorama point. We have decided to skip the overnight more conditioning needed for that type of weight and will reattempt a bike for the day with snow shoes and less weight. We still had a lot of fun but where dissapointed none the less. My friend ended up falling down a steep hill about 30feet and had to climb up each step leaving him barrier to his hip in snow! Yesterday would have been a great day to do it a little earlier in the day before it got so warm. I will post update again after our next attempt!