[TR] Dragontail - Triple Couloirs Beta 3/30/2015

ldr66

Trip: Dragontail - Triple Couloirs Beta

Date: 3/30/2015

Trip Report:

Hiked up Colchuck yesterday (3/30/2015) and since many of you are looking at TC this time of year I'd thought I share what I saw.

Plan to add 3+ miles as you hike the road from the gate off Icicle Creek. It took us a little over an hour up but seemed like an eternity on the way back. Road is snow free (but as I write this Stevens is getting hammered). This makes it a one way trip of almost 10 miles and 7000' gain.

The trail to the lake was mostly dirt(!) though the hard ice in places made our micro spikes well worth it. Where there is snow/ice, it's rock solid but with spikes and light hikers you can cruise through with ease...but again...new snow is here.

The lake is well frozen for travel, but you'll have to look closely for water sources once there. The myriad of streams coming down from Aasgard aren't accessible yet and I had to walk half way across the other side to find something. We were up for the day and so didn't bring a stove.

Getting to the route is easy enough. The one party we spoke with said the access is tricky on climbers left, though the right looked solid, yet steeper.

Make what you will of the runnels via the photos. Our party said they were fine and took short screws well.

Yesterday was quite warm and if this new low pressure hadn't come in I'd say you'd have a week or two to get on it. Now it's hard to say but a bit of new, wet snow certainly won't hurt.

There was a very nice boot track coming down Aasgard on descent. Have fun!

Dragontail9.jpg

Entrance to TC

TC_Entrance1.jpg

The top of couloir 1 is just visible, then the runnels, then couloir 2 and the lower part of couloir 3...

TC_Runnels_2.jpg

Close up of the main runnels...

TC_Runnels1.jpg

TC_Runnels_Close1.jpg

From the top of Colchuck...nice day, eh?

Greg_on_Colckuck.jpg

Edited by ldr66

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While hiking the road (NF 7601) today with family, spoke with a forest service employee in a truck who was evaluating for a possible gate opening of today/tomorrow. He suggested the road may be open to Eightmile Lake trailhead initially, and then to Stuart Lake trailhead as road conditions allow.

Edited by sneaky_steve