Out of control dogs at the Coulee

LUCKY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the "whinny little bitch" comment – that is exactly what i mean about dog owners and non-dog owners having different ideas of what constitutes dogs bothering people. Some people are ok with a dog licking their hand, others are utterly and completely not. Several members of my immediate family have a real fear of unattended dogs; is it irrational and kind of ridiculous?- yes, but its not that uncommon either.

Let me put it this way, a good friend of mine raises reticulated pythons. If properly socialized and treated calmly they are about as dangerous as a pit bull, in that they could seriously mess you up if they really wanted to but won't without provocation. They are actually quite mellow, well tempered animals. But guess where he doesn't take them? Anywhere public, ever, out of common deference to other people, who, by and large, are not comfortable around a 15-20ft snake. There are otherwise sane people who feel about your unleashed dog how you would feel about a reticulated python.

Use a leash regardless of whether you feel your dog needs it, that's all we're asking.

You understand, of course, that crags on public property belong to everyone--not just climbers, right? Bird watchers, picnickers, walkers, kite flyers, fishermen, geology students, base-jumpers, grandparents, people with children, and, yes, dog owners too.

You can see drunks, stoners and other such characters in the public too, doesn't mean we have to put up with their bullshit. That goes for barking unattended dogs, and aggressive dogs. The same way I tell people at the crag to turn their music shit off, because it's harshing my mellow at the crag. FW, you make yourself sound like a total selfish asshole raised by a couple of redneck fucktards.

They don't fuck around in Canada, your dog draws blood, it gets destroyed. End of story. If such laws existed in the US, same assholes would have to think twice before leaving the dog unattended and off leash.

Regarding the "whinny little bitch" comment – that is exactly what i mean about dog owners and non-dog owners having different ideas of what constitutes dogs bothering people. Some people are ok with a dog licking their hand, others are utterly and completely not. Several members of my immediate family have a real fear of unattended dogs; is it irrational and kind of ridiculous?- yes, but its not that uncommon either.

Let me put it this way, a good friend of mine raises reticulated pythons. If properly socialized and treated calmly they are about as dangerous as a pit bull, in that they could seriously mess you up if they really wanted to but won't without provocation. They are actually quite mellow, well tempered animals. But guess where he doesn't take them? Anywhere public, ever, out of common deference to other people, who, by and large, are not comfortable around a 15-20ft snake. There are otherwise sane people who feel about your unleashed dog how you would feel about a reticulated python.

Use a leash regardless of whether you feel your dog needs it, that's all we're asking.

Those are fair points. I think dog owners should put their dog on a leash if someone asks them to even if the dog is being friendly.

That said, and no offense to your family, people don't have a duty to proactively change their actions to guard against others irrational fears.

Would it be your fault if your blue car scared a pedestrian who has an irrational fear of blue cars?

It is not unreasonable that one would expect to encounter someone's companion dog out in public. Dogs have been co-habitating with humans for thousands of years. Pythons, on the other hand, not so much.

While reaching for a ledge on lead in one of the kloofs just outside of Jo'berg (the city), my South African belayer suddenly quipped "Oh, you'll want to slap the hold real quick to check for pythons" - followed by laughter from below all around.

He was serious - the place is apparently infested with rock pythons (the not-nice kind). As serious as a South African can be, which is, it would seem, not much.

How about leashing one's bitchiness? Or muzzling it. Muzzling's good. Not that a pooch walking across the blankie you spread out for 'the children' (Oh, the humanity!) isn't a very serious first world matter. Look at it this way - at least it's not a rock python eating your sammie - with your kid attached to it.

No baboons to worry about here, either. Fucking baboons.

How about leashing one's bitchiness? Or muzzling it. Muzzling's good.

How about not behaving as a self centered asshole, but like a respectful human being? And not making YOUR responsibility my responsibility. I put leashless dogs, screaming kids, music playing on the iphone (or other form of player without headphones), tantrum screaming after falling in the same "behaving like asshole" category. My question is: who the fuck raised you?

When I was climbing there last fall there was a dog laying by the trail unleashed. I put my hand down for it to sniff and the damn thing snapped and came at me. I had to take a few steps back and luckily the dog relented before I had to take action. Handler acted completely surprised and embarrassed, like it had never happened before. BS. I think the dogs name was Abbey, medium sized, and it was with two female climbers.

Any dog that has ever shown unprovoked aggression towards humans does not belong in public. I have no problem with unleashed well behaved animals.

Edited by RaisedByPikas

Ivan wins the internet on this one!

If you don't like crag dogs might I politely recommend climbing a multipitch alpine route instead? It solves most of the problems with the people too. What really gets me on an alpine route though are the goats. They lick my pee, eat my pack, and walk to the top of my "climbing" route. Can someone please leash the goats?

How about leashing one's bitchiness? Or muzzling it. Muzzling's good.
tantrum screaming after falling in the same "behaving like asshole" category. My question is: who the fuck raised you?

I know that guy. I saw him do that once and was like "whoa". I think he also beat his bike to death after a mountain bike crash.

How about a crag cat instead?

At the Frey Valley in Argentina, Emilio can often be found exploring 4th and low 5th class territory on Aguja Frey and... he buries his poop discretely, doesn't stink, slobber on your hand, bite children, bark, whine, pee on other people's stuff, or eat other people's stuff. He grovels to no one and he is lord of his kingdom...

Frey_cat_8.jpg

Crags, along with their dogs and noise and trash, perform a necessary function. I like them because they keep the riff-raff out of the hills.