Out of control dogs at the Coulee

LUCKY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had crag dogs now for the last twenty years or so I can give two cents on this one.

I have been a bad dog owner in the past. Off leash, not picking up shit, eating things, napping on ropes...........

Now, bitches be leashed. Shit bags used. Ropes are still nappy places.

My dogs get to be at the crag. I try to avoid the really popular areas.

On that note, here are some tips for the non dog owners.

Just because my dog is at the crag, you dont get to pet it.

Please leash your dogs! OR have excellent voice control and know where they are at all times. This is rare.

Control your kids! Like West Sidas, dogs are unpredictable and not always friendly. Caveat Emptor, All Dogs Bite! Its true.

Just like your annoying snot nosed brats crying, dogs bark. Get used to it or go away.

I will do my best to control my beast, leash. You should not set your pack full of food down beside them. In this order my boy Cooper will piss, eat, and eventually fuck your pack. So, be mindful of your shit. I was there first.

Imagine someone brought their toddler to the crag and the child ate your sandwich, stepped on your rope and gear, licked your hand when you weren't looking, knocked rocks on people below, dug up a bunch of native plants, shit on the ground close to the crag (and left it), chased squirrels and birds, bawled inconsolably while the owner was up climbing, and slept on your gear or in the middle of the trail.

Then imagine the parent ignored most of these behaviors and said, "Don't worry, he's friendly" when asked to control the child.

You'd think the parent was a selfish, inconsiderate @%#$, and you'd be right.

Why should dog owners get a free pass?

Even on leashes, dogs detract from the experience of other climbers/hikers/users in many ways.

Solution: Non-service dogs should be left at home. Just like National Parks.

This is spot-fricking-on...

Having had crag dogs now for the last twenty years or so I can give two cents on this one.

I have been a bad dog owner in the past. Off leash, not picking up shit, eating things, napping on ropes...........

Now, bitches be leashed. Shit bags used. Ropes are still nappy places.

My dogs get to be at the crag. I try to avoid the really popular areas.

On that note, here are some tips for the non dog owners.

Just because my dog is at the crag, you dont get to pet it.

Please leash your dogs! OR have excellent voice control and know where they are at all times. This is rare.

Control your kids! Like West Sidas, dogs are unpredictable and not always friendly. Caveat Emptor, All Dogs Bite! Its true.

Just like your annoying snot nosed brats crying, dogs bark. Get used to it or go away.

I will do my best to control my beast, leash. You should not set your pack full of food down beside them. In this order my boy Cooper will piss, eat, and eventually fuck your pack. So, be mindful of your shit. I was there first.

Your a tard, I don't give a fuck if you were there first....if your dog pisses on, or eats my pack, I'm gonna kick it in the chops. Seriously, wtf?!? and I like dogs...(I don't care if he humps it).

Maybe a better solution is I dump your pack out, and trade with you? Or maybe i'll just take a wizz on yours?

This is clearly a common sense thing. Obviously not all crags are appropriate for dogs. If I bring my dog I usually don't need to leash her but if she is bothering anyone or wandering I will. I keep a close eye on her and try to be very respectful. A 100 per cent of the time leash law would not only be unnecessary but would be impossible to enforce.

I've been cragging for about 20 years now, some as a dog owner and some not, and only remember a couple times where dogs have been a problem. I think it was dogs, who were leashed, barking or growling at people.

In my experience, most people enjoy encountering my dog at the crag. Last time at Index she entertained a curious toddler for hours and was much appreciated by his parents.

I understand dogs can be a nuisance to some but for those of you complaining here because a friendly dog came up to you to say hi, you are acting like a whiny little bitch.

This is clearly a common sense thing. Obviously not all crags are appropriate for dogs. If I bring my dog I usually don't need to leash her but if she is bothering anyone or wandering I will. I keep a close eye on her and try to be very respectful. A 100 per cent of the time leash law would not only be unnecessary but would be impossible to enforce.

I've been cragging for about 20 years now, some as a dog owner and some not, and only remember a couple times where dogs have been a problem. I think it was dogs, who were leashed, barking or growling at people.

In my experience, most people enjoy encountering my dog at the crag. Last time at Index she entertained a curious toddler for hours and was much appreciated by his parents.

I understand dogs can be a nuisance to some but for those of you complaining here because a friendly dog came up to you to say hi, you are acting like a whiny little bitch.

I have no problem with well mannered pooches. Its kind of like people...

Like West Sidas, dogs are unpredictable and not always friendly.

Nice. Those West Sidas probably just deserve whatever they get.

I like certain dogs after I get to know them (like, Gene's dogs), but I stay far away from all off-leash dogs I meet both at the crag and campground, I personally hate off-leash dogs. An off-leash dog at the crag makes me want to make posts like this one.

Imagine someone brought their toddler to the crag and the child ate your sandwich, stepped on your rope and gear, licked your hand when you weren't looking, knocked rocks on people below, dug up a bunch of native plants, shit on the ground close to the crag (and left it)...

If your child was this poorly behaved in public, and you ignored it, I might be liable to contact Child Protective Services.

I would be fine with "good dog owners" taking their dogs along as long as there was someone I could notify that this so-called "good dog owner" was no good at all and should be barred from owning pets.

Other people, children, and dogs are some things one may encounter if they venture out into a public area.

If you're not ok with this I suggest taking up residency in your mom's basement and joining a competitive video game league. I hear they are the big thing right now.

Well said! Dogs are the best thing at Vantage, after the bikini tops. Complaining old guys are the worst thing there. They should all go to Darrington, where they belong.

I am going to go to a dog shelter, bring a couple of dem hounds to your crag and have them pee out "FU" in all caps.

I would bring my dog but she is too old and scared to be on any nuisance.

One time in the city of rocks, I managed to get my little black lab up some 20 feet up a 5.9 by throwing a stick. she pulled the crux and free solo!

I imagine she would annoy you if throwing sticks for a energetic black lab was the kind of thing that annoys people.

Edited by genepires

I'm generally ok with dogs. I like 'em.

I don't even mind well-mannered dogs saying hi.

But climbers around you shouldn't need to change their behaviour because of your pets.

People around you shouldn't have to safe-guard their food because your dog is wandering around.

People around you shouldn't have to keep an eye on their small kids because of your dog.

And please, if your dog is barking more than infrequently, it's a major nuisance to at least some people around you!

Please leash wandering dogs, and if they are barkers, please keep them at home.

Thanks!

Bottom line on Lucky's original post is this:

--people are enjoying a weekend at location X, the party near you has dog or several dogs. Dogs come and greet you, that's fine, you say hi, dogs smile and lick your hand, you look over to owners and share a head nod, everything's great.

--But at what point is the line crossed when the other party's dog(s) is trampling all over the area your party is located, knocking something over, walking on your blanket you laid out for your kid, getting into your garbage sack, sniffing/eating the food you have out while snacking/cooking, drinking from your dog's water dish, growling and/or barking at your dog who is quietly laying on his bed, showing teeth to your kid who is playing nearby, barking at you sitting at your fire, barking at people who are simply passing by...?!

All of the above occurred this past weekend, prompting the original post. Should we even have to come ask you to keep your dog contained? HELL NO! (all caps)

This doesn't even touch on the other points folks have made about dogs at the crags, that's a totally different issue, and valid issue at that. The dangers of causing rockfall are freaking real, and the consequences absolute.

I have had plenty of friends who are CRAG dog owners, maybe even named Denali or Sharma or Cascadia or Cedar or Backclip. All of them are GOOD dogs because of the GOOD DOG OWNER, period. (yes, ALL CAPS).

Contain your fricken dog where ever you are, don't make your dog my responsibility, the free-soloists climbing Feathers that haven't been bolted over the past 40 years for a reason then falling already are trying to do just that...

Rock on LUCKY.

No we just need some mandatory personal responsibility. Not every climber has a dog that needs to be leashed.

actually they do need to be leashed.

Neat. If you get a dog you can leash it. Your opinion is really great but there are no leash laws at any crag I've been to nearby except for Smith.

I totally agree that aggressive dogs should be leashed. As should food-marauding dogs. Though, you have to admit the "victim" bears some co-responsibility by leaving food out in the open, and at least the dog didn't drink your beer.

How about a common fucking courtesy (means not being a major douchebag)? Is that so much to fucking ask for? Dogs do not behave the same way around the house as they behave around larger crowds or around other dogs. It's a fucking common knowledge and common fucking sense. And blaming someone for placing their food and dog eating it, it's like blaming a woman that her abusive husband or boyfriend kicked the shit out of her. But after all- you are a lawyer. You guys replaced common sense with legal fucking bullshit.