• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Alpinist 1

Unfortunately, I think the lifespan of this work will be limited; the costs are too high to be supported by such a limited readership. I dunno, maybe if they focus on regional reports as well as sickfest overseas stuuf, like HIGH used to do, they might make a swing of it, but the $ is too high for dirtbags.

I personally know very few wealthy alpinists, it seems, at least among my friends, that when you get a nice cooshy job, it becomes quite attractive to spend the weekends in Whistler riding the lifts. Still, the armchair component remains, but i suspect most, like me, will read Alpinist in bits at the Coop over the next few weeks.

I still think they need regular features on elitism and the redemtive qualities of alcoholism -- maybe I'll solicit. I'd call it "The Snotty Side" or maybe just "Get Back in the Car Bitch!" grin.gif

I don't think the appeal is limited solely to "alpinists" or dirtbags - in my opinion it's one of the better climbing mags around period (but then there's not much competition).

Judging by newstand, shop sales (I know of at least one shop that's sold out already) and my subscription number(~5000), they may be well on their way to where they want to be.

You're presupposing that most serious climbers are dirtbags with no money. I suspect this is another myth put about by the climbing media in their mission to promote the "climbing lifestyle".

You've only got to look at how the cost of gear has risen to see that there must be some pretty well off climbers out their to support the market.

A lot of people who don't actually climb read climbing magazines or climbing books. I can't tell you how many times i have been asked questions while reading books at the uw bookstore from hikers.

jordop~If you were to write a column in Alpinist titled "Get Back in the Car Bitch" I would be happy to extract from my pitiful graduate student pay the cost of a subscription. Even though that subscription price is worth a couple of bottles o' whisky out on the glacier! bigdrink.gif

Cheers.

I've got some nice gear but a car worth $700; my priorities are skewed. Yes, I agree that the dirtbag image is perpetuated by the mags and there are a lot of good climbers with good jobs. Maybe it's because I actually seldom buy a AAJ or CAJ (but end up reading them over and over while my girlfriend is trying on sportsbras) that I see a capital outlay problem for some. I would love to see the thing take off and feel guilty for not ponying up the $$ myself. Maybe next paycheque, after the camera, after the new boots . . . smirk.gif

Hey Loozer Climers!

Yoo guys suk! Do to lack of intrest and the fakt that yoo cheep bassturds diddnt send me any money, YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE PLESZUR OF REEDING MY NEW MAGAZEEN CALLED "KIDZ KLIMBING KORRAL". Forget about it!

Im going to make some money frum some other sports that arent so boaring and cheep!!!

So if any of yoo are intrestted, Im starting a new magazeen called "Kidz Wind Serfing Korral". Send me $5 if you want a subskripsion others wise go shut up and go back to your lame mounten climming.

carrot.jpg

- Surfman Charlie, Master Windserfer