Rock Climbing Washington

Charlie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sexual Chocolate (what the f*** kind of alias is that?)

Charlie is indeed a big dude and a nice guy. One of my favorite climbing partners actually. Ok maybe he's a little cranky today but he's a standup guy and he does not hide behind an alias. Everyone also knows who Caveman is. So I guess my point is if your going to start hammering someone at least put your real name in your profile. I think there is a certain integrity to not spraying from behind a pseudonym. So before you spray further introduce yourself at least. Just my humble opinion though.

Jim Blakley

Ah yes! Thanks Captain Caveman, for the warnings on violence! Would've expected that from a Neanderthal. (GRRRRRR.)

And Charley, just a thought: before you go slamming someone for voicing their opinion in response to your thread, check your head.

Read your initial reply to my initial posts; maybe you'll see my reason for being pissed.

And now we seem to get to the real issue: yes, many enjoy climbing hard, damn hard, as hard as they feckin' can! And yeah, then they even have the NERVE to talk about it! Absolutely! I'm damn psyched about how hard I climb, 'cause I have a blast pushing myself, and doing things I only dreamed of in the past. And I'm damn psyched for anyone who's doing the same. And as you pout away, perhaps you could even have the decency to apologize, 'cause your sanctimony certainly warrants it.

OK, i just read this post through. I was wrong for snapping the whole 23 cents comment. sexual stated that he did not own the book or ever want to own it. but, if i wanted he would give his opinion on a certain route- that's not what i was after. i just thought that everyone who owned guidebooks that were specialized in a particular climbing area could input any mistakes they have found. that way, everyone who owned the smoot guide could pencil in the corrections and we could all own a fairly accurate guide to all the climbing areas listed for washington...anyone who did not want to participate could simply click off and move to the next post- sounded like a good idea at the time, sorry it didnt work out.....how can you climb harder than you ever have before if you don't know how hard the route is you are climbing- or how hard the routes you previously climbed were?

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 10-01-2001).]

Hi Charlie. Thanks. And sorry for going so off on ya. Got tweaked. I am a sensitive piece of chocolate sometimes. French chocolate. And then when sexuality gets thrown into the mix... volatility.

And your last point: that was the reason for my grade input. To solidify a consensus. So that people have an idea of what they are climbing. Hence, my input on Rainy Day Women et al. I don't really like the down-rating that happens sometimes, down-rating that's based on people getting things wired and then down-rating the route. Rainy... is NOT 11c. It simply isn't. It is harder. And I feel Hung Out to Dry's difficulty is more accurately, again, denoted by its original rating. Two routes, ORIGINALLY rated harder than what Smoot says. No spray here, just an attempt to create an intelligent consensus based on as much objectivity as possible, NOT peoples strange motives to down-grade certain Little Si routes. These are the first routes that many people will climb at these grades; let's not sand-bag them. I've climbed a lot of routes at a lot of different locales; this is why I feel as I do on this one. If I misunderstood the reason for your post, then a coherent explanation as to WHY would have sufficed. But anyways, I hope there are no hard feelings. I know a lot was said; hopefully it can be forgotten.

Hey Charlie,

It seems lately the folks producing guide books are playing around with the ratings. (save your breath everyone, I know they're subjective) For istance "The Travelers Guide" is a nice selection of quality routes, however most of the ratings have been downgraded. Some of them not fair to the bright eyed bushy tailed enthusiastic newby. I do not know Smoot, just that his books haven't always been of the highest quality. (for a quality guide thumb through A Rock Climbers Guide to Smith Rock)

i recently bought the ROCK CLIMBING WASHINGTON book by Jeff Smoot- I noticed several incorrect ratings of climbs (in the areas i was very familiar with) in frenchman coulee and lworth. This could be a problem if you are using the book in an area new to you. How about posting the mistakes and giving the correct ratings so we can make revisions?

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 10-01-2001).]

Jblakley I climbed those two routes a month or so ago and started a thread to get some info. Viktor replied but knew only that someone he knew put them up. I guessed the right one might be 5.10 and the left a grade harder. They are really very short - so I wouldn't be surprised if they get easier ratings.

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:

damn you guys for reoppening this thread, im trying to forget about it. scott- you know exactly what the caveman meant(a 5.8 at those places is of similar difficulty as one in yosemite) stop antagonizing him.

I did not know what he meant and I'm not antogaonizing anybody.

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I found a lot of the ratings are pretty close at Lworth and Index as well as Tieton since they match Yosemite.

The ratings at those three areas are similar because they match Yosemite? That didn't make sense to me so I asked for clarification.

If I wanted to antagonize I would have said something like, "Yeah, right. Show me a 5.6 chimney pitch at any of those locations that is of the same difficulty as those on the upper DNB."

But I didn't.

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

When is this thread going to end?

In answer to question...NEVER. I wrote a script that will automatically log in every ten minutes and post a nonsensical spew of ASCII garbage to this topic thus pushing this thread to the top forever!! a ha ha ha ha..a ha ha <evil laughter>

Signed

Dr Evil