Driving to Paradise, some Important info on MORA NP

gapertimmy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of if I like it or not there seems to be a change coming here. I am interested to see the views from other people here. I think I might be in agreement of the shuttle bus ideas but not the re-opening of the west side of the park or camp site enlargements for sure. The ONLY reason I agree with the shuttle bus idea is so that parking lots are not enlarged.

I was unable to view the actual proposal plans 1-3 though.

Good one Tim!

-Ray

I believe the infamous snowleopard once said something about the power of the pen. Keep the comments coming on this unfolding topic, but be sure to write them down also and make some noise.

quote:

The Park Service held a series of public meetings around the state in early December, and will be accepting written public comments through Feb. 9, 2001. Send your letters and comments to:

National Park Service, Denver Service Center

ATTN: Mount Rainier Team

12795 West Alameda Parkway

P.O. Box 25287

Denver, CO 80225-0287

or email them to: MountRainierComments@nps.gov

Read the fine print folks folks, this is a BIG DEAL.

Listen, both proposals specifically state that overnight users leaving from White River or Paradise (except those paying to stay in a hotel), will be required to ride a shuttle bus during peak months, regardless of the parking situation. Same is likely to be true of Mowich. The Carbon river road will be permanently closed as soon as it washes out again.

This seems silly to me, given that climbers amount to about 10,000 of the 1.3 million visits each year.

Send your comments, via email, to:

mountrainiercomments@nps.com

Note that if you include your name and address, they will be publicly available.

-CC

In response to the climber's must take shuttles I understand what you mean. You have to remember that this looks like a way for the Park Service to pump more people in there. I think in that perspective they are making a good argument saying climbers occupy parking spaces for longer periods of time....

Looking at the fine print it seems there are 2 alternatives and I am not sure I agree with either one of them. They plan on rebuilding visitor centers, possible expansion parking lots. Open the west side of the mountain to shuttle buses.

Alternative 2 seems to be the better of the 2.

If you think this is ridiculous check out this link someone posted at my work. How many people actually needed this thing put in? How much money it wasted....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/html98/poop16m_20000816.html

-Ray

[This message has been edited by rayborbon (edited 01-15-2001).]