Drones

Choada_Boy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suck: check.

1. Cool pictures and video from drones are like crack for the mind: no effort, no work on the users part, just pure reward. Talk about lazy!

2. They're annoying, and there's no denying it. In general, I think the environemtn around us should be disturbed as little as possible.

3. Legal? Probably in many places, but hopefully not for long.

4. Biggest one for me is they seem like a huge amount of money diverted from something more worthwhile. Do we really want to spend $500 to see a video of some guy ski? I guess if it's of yourself skiing, its ok. 9_9

5. Sniper style with a bb gun.

Flame on, bitches. My bet is most people either are pro or don't have the nuts to stand up and say that even though they are "legal" at this point, they should go away.

I attended a presentation on drones a few months back. They'll probably be restricted to

• Daylight flight only
  • No flying within 5-miles(?) of a real airport
  • Operator must have visual contact with the device
  • Permission from property owners for overflight

While you might get away with it that probably rules out flying in wilderness areas, and you can forget about the Amazon delivery copter

The surest way to become anti-wind is to piss into it.

Technology will become what it will become. Drones are incredibly useful - they are here to stay.

Prohibition? Not a policy that has worked as advertised so far. Damn humans.

If a drone flies and there's no one there to hear it, is it still annoying? What if it doesn't make any noise at all? Such thinking has so far failed to ban planes and satellites. I wouldn't hold your breath.

The best you can hope for is to regulate the personal information drones can collect by requiring warrants, periodic use reporting and appropriate levels of approval for deployment.

When faced with a budgetary choice of paying $1000 for a drone or buying less than an hour of chopper time - yeah. You got it.

The FAA restrictions listed in the previous post are already in effect. The FAA cares about safety - it does not care about public nuisances or civil liberties. Dealing with the latter are the responsibility of state or local lawmakers.

The feds, of course, can do wha-evuh.

Current or proposed near term government and commercial uses of drones:

Aerial surveys: Disaster areas, agricultural land, forests, wetlands and water courses, wildlife, traffic, geothermal....

Accident response: Structural damage to burned buildings, SAR, delivery of relief supplies...

Logistics: Package delivery (this is the only viable way Amazon's going to beat that intractable 48 hour delivery limit imposed by a dysfunctional traffic system)

NOAA: Weather/nautical monitoring

etc etc etc

Been using them for work now and then - remote sensing, wildlife surveys, etc. Very efficient for landscape-scale surveys. Programed one to capture video and LiDAR for a run up the river and return to base. Holy cow - saved us at least $8k over a flight and two weeks in schedule.

But, as in most technology, there will be some a-holes at the controls. Was on the Priest in Moab when one buzzed by - do we really need another form of chest-thumping from weekend warriors. Mixed feelings on the recreation use end of it.

Edited by Jim

the earliest written records human's left behind were chest-beating pieces about who'd they'd killed and what they'd done to be remembered forever - self-importance is in our dna - kinda makes sense, given the reality of evolution (which of course has also created this new nuisance of yours :) )

Very true. I however strive to break the DNA bonds that confine me (I guess all I have to do is break a few hydrogen bonds really) and be the first of my species to be completely selfless, invisible, and will be completely sustained by air, perhaps through nitrogen fixation. I will defy human evolution and I will not film it or write a trip report about my transformation. But it is actually pretty cool, so I should at least mention it in spray.

Can those rotors eat 60cm of dyneema?

While the clock is never turning back technologically speaking is it unreasonable to think that personal use restrictions might be widely enacted and enforced in public spaces ala Smith Rock?

(THANK YOU Oregon State Parks! Can you imagine???)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...