GRIGRI2 versus the original GRIGRI wear

YocumRidge

My 2 year old GRIGRI2 shows a substantial wear of the metal plate next to the handle. With the same use, I would expect to see a hole in this place in 6 months after which the device would need to be get rid off. Did anyone run into the same problem?

GRIGRI2 are 20% smaller and lighter than the original version but also seem to be 200% less durable. Very disappointing.

16701286498_35504f534c_b.jpg

16888908105_138c59153f_b.jpg

16681614597_1872e810f8_b.jpg

Some partners are still using the original GRIGRIs for more than 10 years and theirs look brand new compared to mine.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same experience here. My newer Grigri 2 has a nice groove in it - even though I only use it outside for personal climbs - while my 8+ year old original Grigri looks almost good as new, despite being used daily to set routes and belay while working at a local gym. They must use a softer metal in the new models; my Petzl Reverso wears out similarly while my BD ATC Guide keeps trucking on....

That is one edge that you should not run the rope over when lowering. I think people do this because it gives the most friction and that is needed because the device is hard to control because the handle is too short.

In order to make it lighter they made it smaller hence the shorter handle.

That is the sharpest edge and it's also harder on the rope. You can actually see little bits of rope in your first picture. (Nice documentary photos BTW, good use of Macro)

I also think they changed the cam design because the device has less graduation in friction. It's either on or off compared to the original which gave more variance in the amount of friction, so what ends up happening is the edges get used more to adjust the friction.

Try running the rope over the curved edge, the one that's color anodized, and then rap it underneath if you need more friction. You can also try running over the top edge. (top in your pics)

The wear you do have is probably going to wear slower from now on because the contact area is now larger. But it could also wear faster since it may have a hard anodized coating on the surface which has now been worn through.

If there really were some wizards at the Petzl engineering dept they would do a 3rd generation which brought back the better performance of the original yet kept the light weight of the 2nd gen. Anyone listening at Petzl?

grigri.jpg

Looks like they used cheaper metal.

Ropes that have grit/sand in them will wear metal (grigri, biners, chains) faster than clean ropes. Think sandpaper. They used to say the same grit/sand will abrade and weaken the core of your rope. I don't know if the latter has been borne out in experiments. But it's probably a good idea to keep your rope out of the dirt and clean it after it gets dirty.

I think the wizards at Petzl want to sell more devices not less :(

That's a cynical statement. I think Petzl is a good company that knows that an unsafe product will actually reduce sales and lead to expensive litigation, etc. I also think they have the best interests of climbers in mind, while making a profit.

If there are concerns about this product and Petzl hears about it, they will respond and fix the issue, just like they did a couple of years ago when they recalled some of the Grigri 2's.