Top rop soloing at/around Smith Rocks or Bend

Dan0930

We are thinking of moving to Bend and was wondering if there were any options for TR soloing at smith or around the Bend area.

As a new father with a full time job the window to climb is short and I have found this along with bouldering to be the best way to get a work out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can walk/scramble to the top anchors of the big block on the parking lot side of the river at Smith. Couple or three decent 10- routes there, and popular beginner group location immediately adjacent. 40 min drive from Bend though.

Meadowcamp is close to town, has several walk up bolted anchors, the "routes" are incredibly short, like 20'-40' (probably being generous).

There's a little bit of bouldering on the river trail near town. Check both sides of the river upstream from town and you'll find it.

There's some toproping near town at a place called powerlines that I hear is alright but never visited. Ask around about tick ranch for some more bouldering and a few short yet stout sport routes, I got schooled there on the one route that looked do-able to me.

You probably would have heard of these places already if they were reasons to move to Bend, if you get my drift. All the same, it's great that there are some options close to town and the settings are very nice.

The Bend rock gym is quite excellent.

Thanks Nate. I have heard of most of those areas. I was hoping there was some way to drop a line on some of the stuff stouter lines at smith so I could work projects without the hassle of wrangling partners etc.

I was in town and my buddy showed me most of the bouldering around town and some of the local zones but he wasn't so sure about what worked well with a mini trax.