[TR] Del Campo Peak (pics) - Standard 3/13/2015

twinkletobes

Trip: Del Campo Peak (pics) - Standard

Date: 3/13/2015

Trip Report:

(wide pics, scroll right to read/see)

After a nice hike into Gothic Basin we ascended the obvious, standard route on DC. Following snow ramps up to the notch splitting the main and sub summit. I was surprised by the steepness of the headwall at the top of the notch. I tied in, led the wall in crampons to the top without placing any gear and gave a hip belay to my cousin Jonathan.

I led the steep snow field below the summit, then turned over the lead so Jonathan could pass me by and gain his FIRST ALPINE SUMMIT!

Views from the summit were killer. There was a revolving door of climbers on Gothic Peak and every time someone would gain a summit there would be a long distance dialogue of hoots and hollers from one peak, into the basin and on to the next. Great energy in the cascades that day.

Jonathan killed it, the climb felt classic.

16777828076_a3fade9cda_h.jpg

Morning Star, Vesper, Sperry, Big Four, Pilchuck, two distant peaks I don't know and Baker.

16183772533_16a178e661_h.jpg

Looking down toward Gothic Peak (which looks SO different from here) Foggy Lake and Sheep Gap Mtn. Pretty decent exposure from here.

Gear Notes:

25m rope (not really necessary)

Crampons

Axe

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeahhhhhhhh, feel kinda guilty doing all this recreating while THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

Nice pics.

During the Earth's history it has been a molten ball of rock and it has been a ball of ice completely covered with glaciers 1000's of feet thick. Man might be having problems but the Earth isn't going to care.

• 4 weeks later...