PLB (PSA?) plug

mhux

Reading some TRs recently, I've noticed a lot of PLB usage and following discussions of brands and benefits, so I thought I'd chime in with my experience.

This is basically a big plug for the Delorme Inreach, the device is pretty awesome and will probably save you a headache at some point (I'm not associated with Delorme in any way, I wish I was getting paid for this!).

In short, it saved mothers and girlfriends a lot of stress, due to the 2 way communication (versus an ok/not ok/emergency option scheme). While it was sort of silly to be texting my mom, my gf, my friends mom and his gf from a remote Himalayan valley (/spray), it was nice knowing they weren't having daily panic attacks imaging us dying in various ways. Instead they were racking up the texting bill, to my dismay! :)

I balked at the initial price (+ subscription, ugh), but you can use it worldwide (unless that's changed) and it might save you a costly ride home since you can communicate with to-be rescuers.

Stay safe out there!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on your style (and how cheap a bastard you are). Personally, I like having something that I only plan to trigger when death or serious injury is at my doorstep. My family knows that unless they get a call from USMCC, I'm either OK or the entire party is dead and there is nothing they can do about it.

I suppose that doesn't work for some though.

I picked up a Delorme InReach in the fall and while I'm not a fan of the subscription fee I do like the option to send messages and potentially ask friends for help before calling in the cavalry.

Since getting it we (my partner and I) haven't used the messaging feature much at all but we do appreciate the GPS tracking features so we can keep track of our routes and share the info with others and also keep track of how long it takes us to get places. It's been a good combo GPS/SOS button.

I guess it depends on your style (and how cheap a bastard you are). Personally, I like having something that I only plan to trigger when death or serious injury is at my doorstep. My family knows that unless they get a call from USMCC, I'm either OK or the entire party is dead and there is nothing they can do about it.

Well stated and my feeling as well , KISS principle. I have PLB that is for when shit happens. When craps occurs I dealt with it. But as you say that doesn't work for some. Regardless, though one should never be dependent on technology to bail their sorry ass or carcass out.

Well stated and my feeling as well , KISS principle. I have PLB that is for when shit happens. When craps occurs I dealt with it. But as you say that doesn't work for some. Regardless, though one should never be dependent on technology to bail their sorry ass or carcass out.

2 more cents. Same boat, one more for vanilla PLB. McMurdo FastFind. 2way comm is nice but I leave clear plans with relevant parties before trips. The PLB = something is horribly wrong. I know situations exist where some friends could help (maybe simple but debilitating thing like an achilles rupture with 8 miles of de-proach left after a climb)..maybe friends could help you down vs needing a rescue? I just figure if it is serious enough for friends to help, I can't do it myself and actually would need rescue assistance.

I think himalaya type distance/extremes or expeditionary trips abroad the 2way merits really come to the fore.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make a ton of sense to have the 2way stuff on a day or two out in the Cascades...good expedition tool though. Should have thought of that before posting! :) If you can/are willing to afford it though its pretty neat...

Like I said, I don't know how many texts have actually been sent from the woods, maybe none yet. The added value with the InReach for me is that it takes the place of a GPS device and a panic button and I had neither at the time that I bought it. I still carry and prefer a paper map (I'll close the door to that discussion before it's open).

My fiance is also a runner who likes to do extended backcountry runs. She ran the Wonderland trail in the fall and I would have appreciated an update when her schedule slid one night and I knew she was traveling very light.