Media misrepresentation

dbriggs5

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/search-and-rescue-launched-vesper-peak-climber/nkSZL/

Looks like these high snow levels are raising the overall level of winter incompetence and unpreparedness. Anyone else get slightly p/o'd when the media refers to rescue operations for unprepared hikers 'climbers needing rescue'?

You deserve nice things, and that woman and her dogs deserve to die.

Happy now?

Edited by num1mc

So here's how I imagine that going down, woman hikes up to Headlee pass with her dogs, turns around to descend, dogs refuse to follow because they can't figure out how to downclimb steep, hard snow (when i came down Headlee pass a couple weeks ago I faced in for short sections). I'm a little unclear on how S&A resolved the situation for the dogs but whatever.

The media has a well documented problem with confusing hikers and climbers, although usually its the other way around. It's mildly annoying but I get more p/o'd when people get self-righteous and condescending about other people's misfortunes. There are no nice things being prevented by this sort of thing happening. If everyone who might under some weird circumstance require a rescue was to stay out of the mountains, they would be pretty empty and trails would get overgrown and the forest service would close all the roads.

Sorry, these kind of 'look at this idiot' threads are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

In the summer of 2014 Logan and I found ourselves running from a forest fire in the Eastern Cascade Mountains. The fire that cut our climbing trip short was part of the biggest year for forest fires in Washington State history. After witnessing first hand the sheer destructive power of climate change I was struck by how deeply it affected me. I began to think that if more young people sought out experiences in nature they would be more committed to protecting it in the future. I spent a number of months thinking of ways that I could show these natural places to my generation and inspire them to go have experiences of their own. This project is a starting point for that mission, and so much more."

- Daniel Briggs

You almost become a victim of a forest fire (which by the way is not climate change), and it's a profound event, inspiring you to show others of your generation.

Some poor lady becomes the victim of climate change, and in that case it results in you not having nice things.

Explain that to me.

Next I'm sure you'll shoot down Copernicus, and explain that the solar system really does revolve around you.

Edited by num1mc

So here's how I imagine that going down, woman hikes up to Headlee pass with her dogs, turns around to descend, dogs refuse to follow because they can't figure out how to downclimb steep, hard snow (when i came down Headlee pass a couple weeks ago I faced in for short sections). I'm a little unclear on how S&A resolved the situation for the dogs but whatever.

It sounds like Headlee Pass requires climbing, why is she a hiker and not an inexperienced climber?

I'll admit I didn't click the link.

It sounds like Headlee Pass requires climbing, why is she a hiker and not an inexperienced climber?

I'll admit I didn't click the link.

It's clearly the dogs fault, if they hadn't been irresponsible by climbing up and then not having brought their crampons to climb down we wouldn't be having this discussion.