Location for July "basecamp" - various objectives

AOC

We're a group of six climbers from the northeast looking for a base apartment/house rental for planned objectives throughout the Cascades (e.g., Mowich Face, Enchantments, Washington Pass, S.Pickets) for the month of July. The idea is to avoid having to constantly move our gear from motel to motel, and to have a spot to comfortably wait for good weather opportunities. We're considering Wenatchee for its more or less central location and cragging potential when the mountain forecast isn't good. I've been to the Cascades many times but have only passed through Wenatchee. Good idea? Wenatchee is also in our sights for its proximity to the Enchantments (Dragontail, Prusik). But is the daily lottery for overnight permits a complete crap shoot with consistently bad odds? (Most of us have climbed Mt. Stuart and other peaks in the area that don't require a permit.) Thanks for any thoughts.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most objectives in the Stuart range /enchantments can be done car-to-car in a day by a strong party, making permits a non-issue. or, look carefully at the permit area boundaries (map available from usfs Leavenworth ranger district) and plan to camp just outside the boundary. Leavenworth or Mazama would make preferable bases to Wenatchee - both are likely to have more camping/crashpad opportunities, and are right in the heart of the climbing. the RV suggestion is one I've used before - I'd give it strong consideration...