Haute Route and Lift Skiing in Region

kdewit

Hello:

I am planning on doing the Haute in April and will have an opportunity to ski near Chamonix or Zermatt while I am there.

Does anyone have recommendations for lift skiing, inexpensive lodging or other must see / do things in the area?

Thanks!

Keith

Edited by kdewit

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While having been there I'm not aware of cheap lodging in Zermatt. Never been to Chamonix.

Verbier has some good skiing and it's on the rail line between Zermatt and Geneva. There's an old bunker in Verbier that was converted to a hostel. Lodging is pretty cheap at that hostel.

Did the hiking version of the route back in summer 2003. We stayed at Gite Le Belvedere in Argentiere at the start (http://www.gitelebelvedere.co.uk/) which was cheap and super close to one of the lifts. More than a hostel I'd say, but not quite a full on hotel either. I guess that's what a "gite" is.

I still plan to go back for skiing some day, just not sure when. Have fun.

Nothing in zermatt is cheap, at least nothing we ever found. I think you can stay cheaper down the valley and take the train up to ski.

The Bahnhoff (yes, it's right across from the train station) has hostel style bunk rooms and a well equipped kitchen. Probably still spendy but at least you don't have to eat out. In the summer it was 40-ish CHF a night but probably more in the winter.

I've been told all the Co-op's (the Swiss grocery chain) are obliged to sell food at the same cost at all locations in Switzerland. So that stick of sausage in Zermatt costs the same as it would in Geneva - not that it's affordable in either locale. Still making your own food is reasonable even in Zermatt . .

In Cham the recommended place in town is the Ski Station. Hostel with breakfast I think.

France feels downright cheap after you've been in Switzerland for awhile . .

Another logistical aspect is getting all your shit from Chamonix to Zermatt if you are going to stay in Zermatt for a bit. It's way less of a hassle to get from Zermatt to Geneva than to go from Zermatt to Chamonix to Geneva. I think there are taxi services that can transport your kit after you blast off on the Haute Route.

Hope this helps you some