Cold Springs access on Adams?

leora

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked too Mt Adams Ranger Station ,and The Gate well be closed due too the Logging going on above the gate.I ask when estimated opening would be and she did not know , don't want anyone driving when the trucks are on it. She said anyone can park in the area around gate and hike in . Also said snow was about 3 miles from Cold Spring Camp Ground ,that you could Mt bike in and ski the rest if your going in South route.

This is a BS answer. Earlier this winter the gate was open from Friday at noon through Monday morning. We were able to drive to the cold springs trail head around New years, so I can guarantee it is drive-able now with clearance and 4x4. The full closure started mid January. I have not seen logging ops going on up there on the weekends at all this winter. In any event, you can get closer to cold springs by going in from the mid point of the snipe trail, which you can drive to. 2 miles as the crow flies, but you have to go over the lava bed. Perhaps if enough people voice some complaints about access maybe we could get the weekends back. We ran the buck creek loop yesterday, no snow was observed.

Edited by Patarero

That's what the Ranger told me over the phone last week . BS or not!!!

Chill dude, nothing against you. BS answer from the forest circus. In January the reason for the closure was that the "road could not support wheeled vehicles", now they say it is because of logging. Logging that has been ongoing all winter during the week. Not on the weekends.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on Cold Springs access? Thinking about making a trip up the south route mid April. Sounds like it should be driveable, pending if the gates are open or not. I'll make a call to the ranger in a couple weeks, but just wanted to see if there has been any new developments since the last post.

• 2 weeks later...
on 3/8: zero snow up to morrison creek cg. mostly clear up to cold springs cg - but had to punch through some deeper heavily rutted sections (<1.5 feet) the last 1/2km. arrived in suby impreza very early. 4 wheel drive trucks had similar issues later in afternoon.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like the road should be mostly clear by now. Will call the ranger to see current conditions. The road conditions website still list the road up to Cold Springs (NF 8040) as closed, but that was last updated in February.

• 1 month later...

Get it while it's hot!! As of May 1st the snow is a fat-man's 30 minutes above the trailhead, with zero snow on the road. However, wait until after the 7th (Friday) as they are taking out hazardous trees this week and you can't park at the trailhead until they are done! Snow is BALLER!!