Libtards on Parade: Alcoholism, Corruption, Murder

Fairweather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no cost of living increase in 6 years = my income this year is 15% less than it was 6 years ago - no increases in health care coverage further eroded that

the reality is, for a family of 4 w/ both of us working, we're lucky if we can save 100$ a month for retirement or emergencies - it wouldn't take much of a disaster for things to get real grim real fast.

no cost of living increase in 6 years = my income this year is 15% less than it was 6 years ago - no increases in health care coverage further eroded that

the reality is, for a family of 4 w/ both of us working, we're lucky if we can save 100$ a month for retirement or emergencies - it wouldn't take much of a disaster for things to get real grim real fast.

How much do you spend a month on cigarettes?

Those of us in the private sector had our last cost of living raise--never. Typically, we get pay increases based on performance.

Maybe you should think about dumping that union of yours. Sounds like they're standing in the way of good pay for good teachers.

Now you are just presenting yourself as a complaining cunt, waiting for a handout.

Oh - chiming in on the teacher pay thing, I can't imagine, by any stretch of the imagination, someone thinking that teachers are over-paid. I work in the private sector and have had 5 years with the feds - but that's now over 25 years in the private sector.

My spouse with an MS in a science field left the private and went into teaching 18 years ago. While she doesn't regret it she says she doubled her hours and halved her pay going to teach. With an MS in her field and 18 years teaching she makes decent pay - but particularly if you figure it out on a per hour basis - even including the six week summer break - it's modest. Younger teachers, particularly with families are in a bit more of a pinch.

The gravy train argument is a nice conservative fairy tale.

Those of us in the private sector had our last cost of living raise--never. Typically, we get pay increases based on performance.

Maybe you should think about dumping that union of yours. Sounds like they're standing in the way of good pay for good teachers.

Why can't you understand a concept of private AND public sector? WTF is wrong with you? Are you really THAT stupid?

Want to live in private sector country only?- move to Somalia- where there is no functional government. See how you like them apples then?

Now you are just presenting yourself as a complaining cunt, waiting for a handout.

Oh - chiming in on the teacher pay thing, I can't imagine, by any stretch of the imagination, someone thinking that teachers are over-paid. I work in the private sector and have had 5 years with the feds - but that's now over 25 years in the private sector.

My spouse with an MS in a science field left the private and went into teaching 18 years ago. While she doesn't regret it she says she doubled her hours and halved her pay going to teach. With an MS in her field and 18 years teaching she makes decent pay - but particularly if you figure it out on a per hour basis - even including the six week summer break - it's modest. Younger teachers, particularly with families are in a bit more of a pinch.

It's much easier to govern by fear mongering if you are dealing with uneducated masses- which FW is a prime example.

It's been a fact for decades that teachers are not paid exhorbitant salaries. And let's not forget they work 9 months of the year, not 12.

People who go into teaching know what they are going to get in terms of pay and do it anyways. The endless whining about this gets old. If you want to go for money, pick a different career.

How much does she make? Does her MS afford her added responsibilities e.g AP-level curricula development, student performance, etc? Frankly, teachers in hard sciences/mathematics should be paid more. Thank the union for her lack of salary respect. I hold an MA and I can assure you that my private sector pay remains tied to performance and results.

I vote R to oppose dipshits like you :poke::ass:

How much does she make? Does her MS afford her added responsibilities e.g AP-level curricula development, student performance, etc? Frankly, teachers in hard sciences/mathematics should be paid more. Thank the union for her lack of salary respect. I hold an MA and I can assure you that my private sector pay remains tied to performance and results.

Oh, she would say she gets compensated adequately, she knew what she was going into. Given the hours I have a different view. I'm not sure about the math-science thing vs. English-History, those teachers are working just as hard. Parent conferences, team meetings on at-risk kids, grading, planning, dealing with the parents who think their average kid is a genius -- I certainly couldn't do it. A COA now and then would be appreciated, but if asked, I think most of the teachers at her school would like to see WA fully fund education not for pay increases but to reduce class size, hire support staff (councilers, aids, teacher mentors) and upgrade some old equipment.

I vote R to oppose dipshits like you :poke::ass:

Hmm, great logic. Last Republican administration allowed the worst terrorist attack in history, started 2 wars (we know the result now), and through deregulation caused the biggest economic crisis in 70 years.

Republicans sure are fighting the good fight :lmao:

Moses Wrote the Constitution Ya Know

Christian conservatives win, children lose: Texas textbooks will teach public school students that the Founding Fathers based the Constitution on the Bible, and the American system of democracy was inspired by Moses.

On Friday the Republican-controlled Texas State Board of Education voted along party lines 10-5 to approve the biased and inaccurate textbooks. The vote signals a victory for Christian conservatives in Texas, and a disappointing defeat for historical accuracy and the education of innocent children.

[img:center]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/blog_post/primary_image/interviews/charlton-heston-ive-heard-every-moses-joke-conceived-by-the-mind-of-man/primary_EB19680526PEOPLE805260301AR.jpg[/img]

It's been a fact for decades that teachers are not paid exhorbitant salaries. And let's not forget they work 9 months of the year, not 12.

People who go into teaching know what they are going to get in terms of pay and do it anyways. The endless whining about this gets old. If you want to go for money, pick a different career.

Why is it that teachers aren't paid more? Do we not value them like other developed nations?

And hour wise they work more than 9 months. It's between 50 and 60 hrs week. I have a couple teacher friends. Coming back from Smith on a Sunday with one of them, he asked me to drive. Then he graded papers for 2 hours.

Fairweather moronagus

If you don't get cost of living you're being ripped off, why don't you just blame that on the Unions. After all it has nothing to do with corporate greed.

Here's how it was before Unions, let's let the Repugnicun*s take us back by doing away with the Unions.

1336697438890.jpg

Do we not value them like other developed nations?

And this is the crux of the issue- we are falling behind fast, very fast. But this is what the ruler want, undereducated masses are much more prone to fear mongering, hence their decisions will be reflecting knee jerk reaction, vs logic. KKK and FW are prime examples of that.

Coming back from Smith on a Sunday with one of them, he asked me to drive. Then he graded papers for 2 hours.

:lmao: ask my many climber partners how often i've done this - except pat - holy shit, i couldn't begin to fit the bag of shit i have to deal w/ on a typical basis into that space coffin of his :)

agreed w/ many of the above statements - yeah, you don't expect to get rich teaching - hanging on to the middle class life you likely inherited is good enough - you understand that the stability of the job, once you've proved yourself, and the warm-fuzzies, and the vacation time (which by euro standards is common to pretty much everybody, but in work-obsessed america is somehow indecent) has to be a big part of the compensation - you understand you'll need to work until you're gray and old and probably physically (and financially) incapable of doing much beyond watching "wheel of fortune" re-runs for a couple of years before dying in some shitty old-person home

that said, you still expect to be able to save for your kids college, pay off your college loans, afford health-care, have a small house with a bit of a yard, drive a car that's not going to kill your kids, feed your kids something other than baloney, save enough for a simple retirement and generally live the white-picket fence american dream

i guess that's the product of a radical mind though?

many of the conservative members of this board are fans of self-government and enlightenment principles - i'm a foolish optimist, but i do think they can be won over to unionism on that basis

unions, i'd suggest, are just another organ of human self-government - like any organ of government, its important they should be checked and balanced as, being composed of humans, there's a tendency to run a muck if allowed to (smith's great quote on this subject i'll let jayb put in if ever he sees this) - i don't pretend the world would be perfect if the teachers turned robespierres - unions should be self-policing, democratic, as corruption-free as any human institution can be - they should have to be able to convince other governmental bodies to comply with them, not be able to ignore them all together and do as they wish

is it surprising that the same section of our country that so doggedly supported human slavery should, in the 21st century, be equally determined to deny working people the right to organize and oppose their masters?

I hold an MA and I can assure you that my private sector pay remains tied to performance and results.

wonderful. the capitalist system is great in a number of arenas, especially ones where pushing out widgets is key. paying workers based on how many they can get out the door an hour is perfectly logical in many employment areas.

human beings aren't really widgets though, and defining performance in the educational world is frought with difficulty - any given class of 30 kids i teach will have a very ride range of needs, many of which are hard to fashion a metric to - some kids need a brilliant professor type to push them to the pinnacle of Socratic introspection and maybe that can be measured in a meaningful way (ironically, i'm not sure the almighty socrates would agree though) - far more need guidance counselors, social workers, remedial tutors, reading coaches, psychologists, surrogate parents, patient listeners, etc.

how do you create a simple, fair, easily explained test to measure that? how, in an environoment as ate-up by politics as any other profession, do you keep politics from creeping into the measurement technique?

do you really assume that, if a patient dies, it's his doctors fault? should cops be retained only on the basis of how many tickets they write? is it the fire-fighters fault when he shows up to a building already burning? can every important job really boil down to something that's on a balance sheet?

teachers and schools do need oversight and we should use metrics as part of that -graduation rates, students long-term outcomes in terms of college graduation and employment, ap/sat scores, community satisfaction, etc., these are all important things, but no single factor is prime, nor does any particularly get at the value of a single employee in the system. pretending otherwise is facile and foolish, the product of wishing the world was a much, much simpler place than it is.