Lake Lovely Water Access

maurop

Not really wanting to put in the effort to go for a ski, or a tour in the rain, I scoped out the LLW access for some future endeavours up there. Followed McLane's guidebook, which was very useful and accurate. The gate was closed, so I had to park on a little side road nearby, about 100m further up the paved road. I ran into Dan and Shirley (I think that's her name), and while they said I was ok to park on Squamish Nation land, that next time I should check with their uncle. Anyone have any other recent info on this?

Anyways, I did the tyrolean across the river, and then found the trail. The tyrolean was burly and fun, but not worth the $10 biner it's cost me, and all the faffing around. The gate had fused shut kinda, and I spent a good half hour trying to open it. Canoe would probably be the best choice. This does mean either asking for an open gate, portaging your gear and canoe to the cable tower and then upstream a few hundred meters, or starting way upstream and paddling down river. If paddling, I think some basic river paddling skills would be good. The trail itself is looking rough in spots, but full value adventure for an 8 hour day. I'm looking forward to logging some good routes up in this area in the months to come.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tyrolean was burly and fun, but not worth the $10 biner it's cost me, and all the faffing around. The gate had fused shut kinda, and I spent a good half hour trying to open it.

If you are going to spend much time dealing with zip lines or other cables, one of these is worth it.

Do you know if anyone's used it with success on the cable across the river? It looks like this pulley will fit a 13mm rope max, the lower cable looked like it was about 30-35mm. Canoe is definitely more appealing for the cheapo way to go. Then there's the chopper.

I hear the water at the lake up there is lovely.

I've heard. Probably named by the guys who thought Horseshoe Bay looked like a horseshoe. Or the guys who thought Long Island was... a long island.

I thought about walking across, but I think I wimped out a bit. I convinced myself that the upper cable wouldn't be strong enough to hold my fat ass if I fell.

I'm thinking a trip to Alpha, canoe put in where the road meets the water, somewhere up the road a ways. Climb alpha (or whatever). Then paddle on down to the watershed pub after. Could make for an epic weekend!

Edited by maurop

FYI, the fat cable is no more than 25mm. I clipped a large belay biner over it that wouldn't clip onto something more than 1". I'm pretty sure it is 7/8th cable, which is ~23mm.

Walking the fat cable is the way to go for sure (drag your pack on the fat cable behind), though it still gets your attention and clipping around the balls/cones on the small cable isn't totally trivial when you are bouncing around.

Marc- As we can see from your season down there (TR?), you aren't quite like the rest of us! ;)

FYI, the fat cable is no more than 25mm. I clipped a large belay biner over it that wouldn't clip onto something more than 1". I'm pretty sure it is 7/8th cable, which is ~23mm.

Walking the fat cable is the way to go for sure (drag your pack on the fat cable behind), though it still gets your attention and clipping around the balls/cones on the small cable isn't totally trivial when you are bouncing around.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking for a pulley. I'll have to give the cable walk a try next time!