OCD and Rock Climbing

telemarker

Have you ever dealt with or are dealing with, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder and rock climbed? Or had a regular climbing partner who struggled with this disorder? How did the experience go in such an endeavor as detailed as climbing, where there's a high importance on doing things correctly.

This is a serious inquiry. You are welcome to PM me if you don't want to publicly respond to this post. My inquiry is genuine and personal.

Thank you

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbing almost requires OCD to be safe:

-Tie-in knot

-Flaking the rope

-Placing pro thoughtfully

-Checking your belayer

-Checking your belay

-Checking rappel anchor and apparatus

-Checking your rope for aging

-Etc. etc.

Then just have fun right?

That's not OCD. It might be OCD if you had to chalk your hands 65 times before each move.

I climb with a fellow who I am sure is high up there in the OCD department. His placements are perfect, the biners are always just right, I never have to re-rack or coil the rope,the gear is always brand new, nuts are delicately placed never requiring a nut tool or bending the wires, and he always drives as my car is too messy.

I find it quite amusing, and if I could muster the patience to clean, dry, protect and place my approach shoes back in the box I bought them from...I bet my gear would be just as awesome. But I keep em the back of the truck hahaha

Common stereotypes and misconceptions aside as exemplified in previous posts, I would suspect that the mindfulness aspect of climbing would be a strength to those suffering from OCD. I was wondering if this were true and was hoping to hear back from those climbers who are actually afflicted with this disorder.