Swelling in palm below ring finger?

How about a little medical advice from the internets?

I can't recall any particular incident or any painful moments, but I have been bouldering a couple times a week in the crappy weather and I noticed a new swelling in my palm a few weeks ago.

It's below my ring finger and is sort of a lump roughly between the two crease lines in my palm. It doesn't really hurt much or affect my climbing, but it has started to feel a bit odd when trying to press my palm flat to the floor in yoga, or doing a pullup from a bar. I also notice it sometimes in my commute holding on to the steering wheel.

I took ~10 days off climbing and didn't notice much change. FWIW, 19 years of climbing and I haven't really had any of the usual tendon/pulley injuries, but maybe I do now?

Ideas? Worry, don't worry? I should probably find a real doctor, but that means finding a real doctor which I haven't had for some time.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was another thread in this forum on a similiar topic - got the same shit meself for more than a year now - mine's below and kinda between my pinky and ring finger - bony and not necessarily painful, but apparently permanent and not so pleasant when creased across a sharp hold - what can ya do? even the mona lisa's falling apart :)

I have this too. It comes up here and on supertopo etc about once a year.

Lots of slopers and gym holds seem to make it worse because they involve holding your palm at one particular angle. Since I moved away from the gym and stopped hang boarding it seems to have (slowly) gotten better.

I had this same thing happen in both hands below the pinky finger while bouldering in the gym. When I researched it, it sounded like Dupretins was a much slower developing condition where as this happened rather spontaneously. Never hurt or interfered with much so I've just lived with it.

so....should i give a shit about this? been more than a year since my first lump showed, it migha spread a wee bit since then - doesn't hurt really, except occasionally when climbing, and doesn't seem to effect the range of motion of my fingers

Ice after climbing to decrease inflammation. Cross fiber massage to decrease scar tissue formation.

It will eventually cause decreased ROM/contracture of your digit. It will also make the digit more susceptible to pulley injury. When it becomes a major issue I concur that the above injection and hyperextension therapy is the way to go.

i seem to have that distinct hardening at the base of ring and pinky fingers. seems like it came on about 3 years ago during some more intense training. hasn't gone away, nor progressed.

anyone know if the condition has been known to go into remission, or is it considered to be always progressive?

I got diagnosed with Dupuytrens Contracture (DC) ~10 years ago by a hand surgeon. It hasn't progressed. I think perhaps climbers may get something that looks like DC but actually isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if we get tendon adhesions in response to overuse (my case) and these can look on exam like DC. As Sol said, ice and cross fiber massage and stretching may help prevent these things from forming. Once formed, they may not go away. The hand surgeon I talked with said people sometimes go in and cut them out, but that has its own problems and in a significant fraction of cases (~50%) the DT just comes back a few years later. So there's your dose of internet medical advice for the day. It's worth exactly what you paid for it!

• 4 weeks later...
I got diagnosed with Dupuytrens Contracture (DC) ~10 years ago by a hand surgeon. It hasn't progressed. I think perhaps climbers may get something that looks like DC but actually isn't.

thanks for feedback. i've started doing some (painful) massage on mine, and it seems like it might be going away a bit.