Do climbers tend to be arrogant d-bags?

P-Shizzle

I think so.

Perhaps it's because the participatory costs of climbing/mountaineering are so high (e.g. gear, appropriate clothing, surplus income to take time off work, etc.), it tends to attract those who can afford it: physicians, attorneys, trustafarians, and the like. You know, generally speaking, people who have never really suffered too much and/or endured any significant hardship for any sustained period of time.

In my brief foray into the world of off-trail travel, many of the people I have encountered are snotty condescending pricks who act like smug frat boys.

I know I'm making a sweeping generalization here, however I assume there may be others who share my opinion.

Thoughts?

Edited by P-Shizzle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so.

Perhaps it's because the participatory costs of climbing/mountaineering are so high (e.g. gear, appropriate clothing, surplus income to take time off work, etc.), it tends to attract those who can afford it: physicians, attorneys, trustafarians, and the like. You know, generally speaking, people who have never really suffered too much and/or endured any significant hardship for any sustained period of time.

In my brief foray into the world of off-trail travel, many of the people I have encountered are snotty condescending pricks who act like smug frat boys.

I know I'm making a sweeping generalization here, however I assume there may be others who share my opinion.

Thoughts?

Sometimes I feel that way about the trolls I meet. On, and off, the trail.

Bull shit : 62 yr old Vet that worked, saved my cash too buy my toys. Maybe you and Eric should get your heads out of your ass and smell the fresh air .Stop trying to impress people, if you smell like bad mojo then you bring it !!!

Eat my ass.

I'm a veteran too and I don't buy into the bogus mythology of the American serviceman. You're not unique, nor are you owed anything because you joined the Coast Guard.

It's apparent you didn't read and/or understand what I had initially posted: I was bitching about snot-nosed assholes who fuck up my good time at the crag with their posturing, who-you-know dick envy, and inflated egos.

Congratulations to you for earning your fun by own effort/hard work. And thanks for fighting for my freedom.

Who the hell is Eric?

"We see in others what we disdain in ourselves"...

Nope. I don't think this applies here.

And no, I'm not a troll. I've been thinking a lot about douchiness in general and how there is a positive correlation between such and increased socioeconomic status.

It's a valid inquiry.

Sounds like a case of Curmudgeonitis, I feel the lure as a older climber, there is getting to be sooo many new people in the sport to add to the aggravation, but I have nothing but love for the new generation, and good things will come out of it. They seem to want to grow and do the right thing. I am seeing a lot of wierd rope work and such though. They need good examples from our generation. Hang in there.

"We see in others what we disdain in ourselves"...

Nope. I don't think this applies here.

And no, I'm not a troll. I've been thinking a lot about douchiness in general and how there is a positive correlation between such and increased socioeconomic status.

It's a valid inquiry.

FOAD

The ad hominem shit doesn't phase me. You didn't address the issue. Lick my balls.

the key to being a climber sans the shitty attitude is to be really, really sucky at it - sure seems to work for me n' my friends :)

when you can climb the eiger alone and in yer boxers and are getting blown by a veritable conga-line of lithesome ladies fresh out of their yoga classes, don't you have an excuse for thinking yer the kwisatz haderach? :rawk:

dusche-baggery is the default setting for dis here species :P

I agree.

But the problem seems to be amplified by an order of magnitude with the predominance of WASPy crackers in the sport: folk that have jobs with pensions and shit who can afford to squander time/money on mountain climbin'.

My favorite people in the world are migrant farmworkers. They certainly do not have a problem with douchiness. I can't wait for the day when Black Diamond starts selling their wares in Wal-Mart for the proles and the Joads.

i've known arrogant pricks in every profession or sport i've ever participated in

the prospect of imminent death might be a determining agent - most human activities don't have the specter of that evil angel hovering over them so palpably n' close at hand :)

I've sort of noticed what you are talking about but I don't let it bother me. There are people as you describe in climbing but there are just as many if not more who came from the other side of the tracks.

I left home at 17 and never had one thin dime from my parents. No formal education beyond high school. I've worked for everything I have and while I'm semi comfortable now I still almost always car camp when I'm climbing out of town.

Climbing is not that expensive if you just start out peak bagging. Then if you want to climb roped you can start at UW rock or Spire and hook up here on CC and find people with all the gear.

You need to spend some time in camp 4 or something. Climbing is just like everywhere else in life, the people are from all spectrums of society.

""I know I'm making a sweeping generalization here""

You said it.

Climbing isn't exactly a sport that attracts lots of under-privileged inner city youth or migrant workers - for obvious reasons. The climbing demographic is definitely primarily WASPy. Not breaking any new ground there.

Yes, there are arrogant pricks who climb who you may encounter at the crag. Another topic that's been satirized and beat to death online and in the mags.

So, what really is your point again? :yawn:

His point is that everyone else who is more obviously financially successful than him is a privileged piece of shit. He probably believes that everyone else less financial successful than him is a lazy freeloading piece of shit. This belief system is a common affliction.

When you're super self-centered and can't shrug off people who rub you the wrong way, it's a tough world out there.

Edited by sportnoob

So, what really is your point again? :yawn:

I really don't have a point. I wanted to get the opinion(s) of "the climbing community" that frequents these parts.

I have my own biases and douchebag tendencies, no doubt; I just wanted to see if others were turned off by the obnoxious 'tudes on/off the trail.

Hey y'all. Logged in today for the first time in maybe 6 years to see if there was any inside news about the rescue on Hood yesterday. Found nothing, but good to see the sprayers still spraying and many of the "old timers" still active, including a few of the arrogant d-bags (you know who you are...) ;) Peace out and go Hawks! :brew: