Winter backpacking in the Enchantments

Wllperegoy

Hi there,

Sometime next month or maybe in march I am hoping to do a backpacking trip into the Enchantments and I had a couple questions

1. Do you need a permit? I know you need one between June 15-Oct 15 but I'm unsure if you need any sort of permit for the winter and haven't found any info online. And is it even possible to get into the enchantments in the winter?

2. Is Aasgard pass pretty technical in the winter? The group I would be going with does not have any experience with mountaineering or really anything besides just general backpacking. If Aasgard is too technical would the snow lakes approach still be doable in the winter?

3. How feasible is it to do the Enchantments in the winter with a group of people who have only backpacking experience?

4. Any other advice?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you probably want to do the aasgard pass way. the other way will be longer and more bouncing around trying to find your way. the route finding is easier via colchicum lake.

make sure you have good visibility. up high above treelike would be a bad place to be in a whiteout without good nav experience. by that I mean nav by map and compass alone. no landmarks.

use snowshoes if it is a large group. is everyone a good skier? I doubt it.

you may need some winter backpack experience for the group. read some books. have everyone go out for a couple weekends and hike to a camp and spend the night. You will learn by making mistakes in a forgiving place. either snow pass or stevens pass has plenty of short hike/camp destinations.

I wouldn't say aasgard pass is technical but kinda steep for snowshoes. doable but not easy. you may end up packing the snowshoes for the pass ascent.

obey the avi warnings but don't let a good forecast fool you. be aware of avi's.

Yes, and it is fairly steep. If it is icy, crampons and an ice axe may be warranted. Since it sounds like this isn't something you guys have experience with, you will want to be careful when assessing conditions. Colchuck Lake is a worthy winter backpacking objective by itself, so it isn't a a wasted trip if you don't get up Asgaard. FYI, you will likely walking from Icicle Creek, as they gate the Eightmile road in the winter.

there is a couple of cliff bands at the bottom of the slope. also moat forms to the right of these cliffs. these would suck to fall over if there is a unarrested fall.

in a usual winter, I would say these features are buried but this is not a normal winter. March may be like a typical may conditions if things keep going as they are.

jason brings up a good point. adding a setup of a ultra light axe and aluminum crampons would give safety without a lot of extra weight. If this is a start of a alpine scrambling future, then these would be very useful in the future.

FYI, you will likely walking from Icicle Creek, as they gate the Eightmile road in the winter.

Is there a place to park where it turns from Icicle Creek to the Eighmile road? Or will we basically have to walk all of Icicle Creek and Eightmile to reach the lake stuart trailhead. Thanks!

Lots of good information here.

For easy travel, try to go some time after it has not snowed recently and the freezing level has gone high and then gone down. If there has been an extended stable period you will probably find a previously tracked trail to Colchuck Lake on the west end or Snow Lake on the east end, and snowshoes may not be needed. This would be "backpacking conditions" although steep slopes may pose a risk of sliding and hitting a rock or tree.

Be careful about using crampons on crusty snow if you or your companions do not know how to use an ice axe for self arrest, and be careful about climbing steep slopes anywhere. There are dangerous slopes on the approaches via either Snow Creek or Mountaineer Creek.

I was just in the area for 3 days hiking around. Unfortunatly Icicle Creek is closed just before FR7601.

The snow level is so low that Aasgard Pass is likely very different than you would assume this time of year. It looks like its June out there. I would not anticipate the pass being an open slope. Using snowshoes or skis for the ascent is doubtful as the snow pack was thin and hard. You would probably wind up needing crampons to navigate the snow covered boulder field which is going to be littered with snow bridges, holes and so forth. The real trail may not actually be hard to follow though. Honestly I would just ski Icicle Creek road to the actual enchantments trail and go that route. Much prettier anyway.