Cascade Volcanoes in One Season

dbriggs5

Does anyone know if anyone has ever documented climbing all of the major Cascade Volcanoes (WA, OR, CA) in one trip (driving, not hiking between)?

A few friends and I are looking to make a documentary doing this sort of a trip this summer. Essentially it's one long road trip where we climb all of the modern high cascades. We're not going for speed or extreme technical feats but just pure mountain enjoyment. If any of you have seen "Mile, Mile and a Half" by the Muir Project then you know what kind of feel we will be going for in a documentary. The goal is to get young people excited about going into the mountains and conserving nature areas.

I know what the definition for "major cascade volcanoes" is varies widely (I count 12 or 13). But if anyone could fill me in on if anything like this has been done before that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe so, but you'll need to do more research.

Matt Bedrin with Skiing Cascadia was on a mission to ski them all in a year. I know he did a handful of them for sure but then frankly he appears to have disappeared off the face of the internet more or less after being active in that pursuit.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-11655-matt_bedrin.html

I just watched 'Mile, Mile and a Half' and really enjoyed it. Great production value. A film about climbing all of the Cascade volcanoes could certainly be really cool and a worthwhile project. Don't forget Mt. Garibaldi in B.C., though.

I just watched 'Mile, Mile and a Half' and really enjoyed it. Great production value. A film about climbing all of the Cascade volcanoes could certainly be really cool and a worthwhile project. Don't forget Mt. Garibaldi in B.C., though.

Meager, Plinth, Cayley before you even get to Garibaldi.

Meager, Plinth, Cayley before you even get to Garibaldi.

I'm thinking of limiting it th the U.S. As much as we would like to include B.C. I'm not sure it would be doable for us logistically to cover those too.

How many volcanoes are in the Cascades?

There are well over 50 technically. So way too many for one summer if were bogged down by filming the whole thing. If we limit it to dormant and recently active stratovolcanoes though that puts us at about 12-14. Of course how you decide what makes the list is pretty subjective. Normally it's limited to: Baker, Glacier, Rainer, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, Sisters, Newberry, Broken Top, McLoughlin, Bachelor, Shasta, and Lassen. I'm sure I forgot one or two.

There are so many old volcano remnants, shields, cinder cones, etc. that if you tried to climb them all in one summer you'd end up with sufferfest 3 and it would take months and months.

Again the documentary will focus more on the adventure and getting young people excited about climbing and conservation then about technical climbing goals.

Has anyone climbed all of the major volcanoes in the range range in a single trip before?

You might want to define "trip". Beckey has been on a trip for decades.

And before defining volcano, review the debate that ended with the fact that Pluto is no longer a planet.

Pick the best ones while thinking about the film and not the goal.

Thanks for the advice, By trip we mean leave Seattle, and don't come back until we've made attempts on all. And exactly - ultimately we're picking peaks for the film and not to set records or break any new ground.

I've been plinking away at the Cascade volcanoes. Given that there are hundreds of cinder cones and the like - I limit it to 'stuff that looks like a real mountain more or less':

Lassen

Shasta

Mcloughlan

Bailey

Diamond Peak

Scott

Theilsen

Newberry

Bachelor (you can really cheat on this one)

Broken Top

3 Sisters

Washington

3 Finger Jack

Jefferson

Hood

Adams

St. Helens

Gilbert

Rainier

Glacier

Lincoln

Baker

Garibaldi

Looks like Meager, Plinth, and Cayley easily make the cut.

That makes 28