Park Rant

Eric T

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they should destroy Highway 20 and restore the slopes to their natural grade. Want to climb at WA pass? Do it like Beckey did

Fred's still soloing Liberty Bell from Mazama C2C at 90. I see him leave in darkness with a handful of Snickers bars and a couple Long Hammer IPA's....I pick him up smoked the following day and drop him at another trail head. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing a weekend at Bernies...

DSC00383_Custom_.JPG

That's the spirit though...shit can the Hwy 20, get rid of the Cascade river road, 86 the Suiattle river road, hell we can even discuss burning Stehiekin.

The only problem with wild areas is- they are wild. Not enough mcdonalds, 7/11 and convenience stores NPS visitor centers selling shit.

Fixed that for you

Oh, that too. But I have a bigger issue with selling public lands and having private companies running their businesses in these areas. THAT IS A CORPORATE WELFARE, pure and simple.

That's the spirit though...shit can the Hwy 20, get rid of the Cascade river road, 86 the Suiattle river road, hell we can even discuss burning Stehiekin.

Spoken like a true Edward Abbey man... +1

And allow me to share a pic of Fred, @ 91yrs last winter breaking trail with some ice in sight. N of Banff.

IMG_02121.jpg

d

And allow me to share a pic of Fred, @ 91yrs last winter breaking trail with some ice in sight. N of Banff.

That's so AWESOME! You can't slow that guy down.

So you figure your aerobic threshold drops a point for each year of age.

180 - your age = your AT. For Fred that's 180-91= 89 bpm. So if Fred's HR goes to 90 bpm he's already exercising in zone 3. F%$&ing cray right. If Fred hits the buffet to hard he's in zone 3.

And I complain that I can't keep up with the younger guys...

Spoken like a true Edward Abbey man... +1

I used to think I was George Hayduke. Hell, I introduced myself as George Hayduke to Women all over Europe. Then I was around the camp fire in the desert one night and this really wise old man lamented that "All these young bucks come down here to the desert for solitude and adventure and every damn one of them thinks he's George Hayduke." haha I was like shit.

It would be something to ride into Stehiekin like Mel Gibson in Braveheart with our faces painted blue and torches....I'll be like..."BURN IT!!!!"

Braveheart-HD-Wallpapers2.jpg

It would be something to ride into Stehiekin like Mel Gibson in Braveheart with our faces painted blue and torches....I'll be like..."BURN IT!!!!"

Just to keep the debate going, why start at Stehekin? Your neighborhood was built on the site of an old growth forest, as were the roads that take you to the mountains. Start local.

Just to keep the debate going, why start at Stehekin? Your neighborhood was built on the site of an old growth forest, as were the roads that take you to the mountains. Start local.

:lmao: Good reply, Jason. Our local green parrots here aren't typically known for their deep thinkin'.

Sorry it took me so long to answer, life's happening.

It's about protecting what wild areas we have left.

And when we have an organization talking out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to protecting wild areas then perhaps we should appoint new guards.

The only gripe I hear on here is access and peps don't want to walk too far. Which is totally pathetic because it's about protecting wild areas for future generations not ruining an area to provide access to those that truly don't care. Anyone that's willing to walk 10 miles to see something cares and you just don't see graffiti and litter out that far.

How far are people willing to walk?

halfdome1.jpg

Correct me if i'm wrong but this crowd walked 8 miles uphill in the alpine to get here.

And if that's true and peps will walk for wilderness then why did the NPS do this?

valley1.jpg

Look how many buildings are there. Why? Why not start the trail at the mouth of the valley? It's only 6 miles long and a mile wide, pepes will walk that far. But they built a village, WHY? WHY? WHY?

It may have something to do with trying to make 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The North Cascades is the perfect place to get rid of these wildland profiteers before they figure out a way to build parking lots and villages in our sacred place.

John Muir would roll over in his grave if he could see what has become of the National Park Service.

The National Park Service doesn't serve The US Government.

The National Park Service doesn't serve The American People.

The National Park Service serves it's self.

I think we should make a new law that sitting Presidents can declare Wilderness Area and not just make National Parks when they're attempting to leave a legacy. The way whatever Pres can look good protecting the land and the land can actually get protected.

And Fairweather....If no one else is going to say it.....GOD DAMMIT I WILL!!!!!! I'll scream it from the fucking mountain tops.

Edited by Eric T

John Muir would roll over in his grave if he could see what has become of the National Park Service.

I think we should make a new law that sitting Presidents can declare Wilderness Area and not just make National Parks when they're attempting to leave a legacy. The way whatever Pres can look good

Since John Muir was dead two years before the NPS was created, I'm not sure what to make of your first comment. He was pretty neutral re "mechanical beetles" being allowed in pre-O.A. parks.

As for your second quip, well, ain't democracy a bitch. One more reason the current crop of greenies can't be trusted to tend the fire.

I'd also point out that, contrary to your stated belief above, US Presidents don't have any authority to "create national parks." They do have authority under the Antiquities Act of 1906 to declare National Monuments. These monuments may or may not hold natural landscapes as a component of their mission. And yes, some of these monuments later become national parks by a vote of our elected Representatives and Senators--like Mt. Olympus National Monument did in 1938. This is to say, national parks are still created by Acts of Congress. Sorry to disappoint. Please remember, the dictatorship you desire may have unwanted side effects.