Biggest climbing achievement in January?

Pete04

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/the-current/events-expeditions/Lonnie-Dupre-Denali-Ascent-Mountaineering-History-.html

The FFA of the Dawn Wall is pretty damn amazing although I don't understand (but enjoy) the media attention. However, Dupre's climb is arguably a more incomprehensible feat than Caldwell & Jorgensen's, to me at least. I was pretty speechless when I came across this headline this morning.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really just another hyped BS article about convoluted FA.

A bit of history in 1988 Vern Tejas made the first successful solo winter ascent/descent. In 1984 Uemura made the summit solo in during the winter of 1984 but died on the descent.

Dupre's ascent was in Dec/Jan but it is still winter. In the big scheme of things of firsts - there was none. In terms of being out there doing it something that takes all efforts - props.

Edited by ScaredSilly

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/the-current/events-expeditions/Lonnie-Dupre-Denali-Ascent-Mountaineering-History-.html

The FFA of the Dawn Wall is pretty damn amazing although I don't understand (but enjoy) the media attention. However, Dupre's climb is arguably a more incomprehensible feat than Caldwell & Jorgensen's, to me at least. I was pretty speechless when I came across this headline this morning.

There is a road not far from the base of El Cap, so why wouldn't the media jump all over it? Tommy has more than proved himself a humble badass, so why is it so hard for you to understand it... get over and go drink a Hammerhead :)

There is a road not far from the base of El Cap, so why wouldn't the media jump all over it? Tommy has more than proved himself a humble badass, so why is it so hard for you to understand it... get over and go drink a Hammerhead :)

i understand what he's saying - el cap's got a buncha free routes now that get done routinely and get zero attention - why did this one suddenly result in fuck'n libtard npr types getting all excited about it? not that anybody minds mind ye...what godfear'n climber ever can tire of seeing/hearing about el cap? jesus, i gave my weekly news quiz at school today and more than half my classes knew about it.

i'm stoked to have climbed anythign this january :)

next year.... you should trade in ur summer trip to the valley for a winter trip...

sure thinking about it now more after this - always thought the valley was wicked fucked that time of year - usually can only squeeze a week out of my winter break for pure adventure and a fat fuck like me can't get up el cap in that little time, even if the weather works out perfect :)

The Dawn Wall ascent was beyond awesome - don't get me wrong. I was just a little surprised to see it on my BBC App this morning and then hear about it on NPR on the commute home. That's what's hard to understand - not the validity of the praise due Caldwell.

ScaredSilly, thanks for the history lesson. There was a conspicuous lack of "first" in the article.

Amazing ascent. Too bad hype killed it for me, kind of 19 days of insane hyperspray. If I had a dollar for every asswipe asked me about climbing in the past 2 and half weeks, I would be driving a Ferrari to Squamish.

Kind of like this headline:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/two-idiots-climb-big-thing-for-some-stupid-reason-2015011594457

Turning climbing into some pseudo spectator sport makes my stomach churn. I can see a whole bunch of wankers lining up at the base of ElCap this spring, because they were inspired by this media circle jerk. One should be careful how they market themselves.

Climbing is an utter, completely pointless waste of time. Media making them some form of heroes is a bad joke. Want to be a hero, go teach kids at a school for 30 years, go to Western Africa and risk your life fighting ebola. People like that are inspiring, and actually do something good in the process. Climbing is fun, when you are doing it, kind of like punching your clown. But like with the later, not so much fun to watch.

Poor Dupre on his tenacious winter solo ascent of Denali.....he didn't have the opportunity to order up some "Aussie Tape" when his fingers got all tender! And not even some back-up when his (non-existent) partner was pushing pitches ahead with some sort of anonymous belayer! And his gurlfren didn't even greet him at the summit! Poor Dupre! Should have been on El-Cap!

i'm stoked to have climbed anythign this january :)

next year.... you should trade in ur summer trip to the valley for a winter trip...

sure thinking about it now more after this - always thought the valley was wicked fucked that time of year - usually can only squeeze a week out of my winter break for pure adventure and a fat fuck like me can't get up el cap in that little time, even if the weather works out perfect :)

Iv'e done two winter el cap routes, you just gotta climb protected routes... sure beats the sun baked torture you have endured... and you got the whole place to yourself and there is no line for coffee at the lodge :P

Amazing ascent. Too bad hype killed it for me, kind of 19 days of insane hyperspray. If I had a dollar for every asswipe asked me about climbing in the past 2 and half weeks, I would be driving a Ferrari to Squamish.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/two-idiots-climb-big-thing-for-some-stupid-reason-2015011594457

Turning climbing into some pseudo spectator sport makes my stomach churn. I can see a whole bunch of wankers lining up at the base of ElCap this spring, because they were inspired by this media circle jerk. One should be careful how they market themselves.

Climbing is an utter, completely pointless waste of time. Media making them some form of heroes is a bad joke. Want to be a hero, go teach kids at a school for 30 years, go to Western Africa and risk your life fighting ebola. People like that are inspiring, and actually do something good in the process. Climbing is fun, when you are doing it, kind of like punching your clown. But like with the later, not so much fun to watch.

so what the fuck are you trying to achieve with your boo-foo fucking climbing videos.... i'm assuming you want someone to look at them... or are you one of those ass wipes who get tattoos and claim to get them for themselves but every chance you get get ur like " wanna see my TATT" :P go back to EU ya fucking fagg :)

Poor Dupre on his tenacious winter solo ascent of Denali.....he didn't have the opportunity to order up some "Aussie Tape" when his fingers got all tender! And not even some back-up when his (non-existent) partner was pushing pitches ahead with some sort of anonymous belayer! And his gurlfren didn't even greet him at the summit! Poor Dupre! Should have been on El-Cap!

9_9

Bitter poop...errr...bitter old has been pope...my bad...

Please explain how skills required for a winter ascent of Denali are the equivalent of skills required to climb El Cap :laf: Tommy and Kevin probably aren't setting Denali in winter as a goal.

Edited by AlpineK

That is insane, and possibly one of the more pointlessly risky solos I've ever read about. He'd already done it before in much better conditions!

I think he was after the coveted FPWA: first poor weather ascent.

I'm looking forward to the new geologic epoc where I nab fist descents where there is no snow... FSDOS: first scree descent on skis.

so what the fuck are you trying to achieve with your boo-foo fucking climbing videos.... i'm assuming you want someone to look at them... or are you one of those ass wipes who get tattoos and claim to get them for themselves but every chance you get get ur like " wanna see my TATT" :P go back to EU ya fucking fagg :)

My New Year resolution is to avoid pointless discussions via internet with certified wankers. Happy trails clowpunch.

Please explain how skills required for a winter ascent of Denali are the equivalent of skills required to climb El Cap :laf: Tommy and Kevin probably aren't setting Denali in winter as a goal.

Step 1 would be to gain 40 lbs each

My New Year resolution is to avoid pointless discussions via internet with certified wankers. Happy trails clowpunch.

you're a walking premature ejaculation... you were supposed to be a cumshot... instead we got you, and republicans don't wanna give free condoms. live and learn :)

I think Dupre could probably take Tommie in a knife fight but it would be close. Damn close.

Dupree has a distinct defensive advantage. I don't think Tommy's knife could get through the many layers of down, fleece and stinky polypro.

Of course any good defense can hinder the offense. All those layers would make mobility impossible.

call it a draw.