SS Hood at 2'06'16 (and some beta)

Major Major

What else new is there to do on the south side of Hood, right? Unfortunately I get bored really fast, so I use momentum and tunes to keep my mind busy (and stay warm). After too many shots of Scotch and bubbly on New Year's Even the night before, I was just glad the hangover dissipated as I ascended.

Anyway, after I reached the Hogsback in 1'40, I thought, hmm, let's see if I can get it under 2 hours. Unfortunately the deep, powdery snow made foot travel tedious and slow, and I missed the goal by 6 minutes. But, for the first day of 2015, I lucked out overall on weather and had a good safe climb.

Although we've had fresh snow recently, the snow was difficult to ski on due to a light crust layer on top, with fresh powdery snow below, driving the skis every which way. Expect the snow to consolidate nicer though; the sun was hitting it pretty hard. The Berg is filled in. Also, the Pearly Gates are shaped more like a chimney right now and were super fun to climb: good ice and some natural steps. (hey, it beats old chute / mazama routes.)

Gear notes: skis/skins, crampons, whippet, extra warm clothes for a night over if needed, my freakin' iPod.

PG.jpg

Edited by Major Major

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic