Recommendations for Central OR Ski Tour?

OlympicMtnBoy

I put this on TAY but figured there is some good community knowledge here too!

I thought I would draw on the collective knowledge since most of my ski experience is in WA, aside from skiing Hood and Jefferson in Oregon I don't know the area well in winter.

I'm heading down from Seattle tomorrow with my fiancee to be at Mt. Bachelor by Saturday for a dog sled ride (her x-mas gift). I was thinking of a good backcountry tour somewhere down that way for Friday but I'm not sure where the good snow will be at. I got the Backcountry Skiing OR guidebook from the library here but any personal recommendations for the current snow pack?

I love getting to high peaks and skiing down but she is a more moderate backcountry skier so maybe something with some nice mellow (but not flat) hippie pow and good views? A summit is nice but not required. We'll have a full day since I'm bringing my camper down and we may just sleep in the sno park lot.

Cheers everyone and thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea on current snowpack but Tumalo mountain can be fun. I think it's in the BC Skiing OR book. Park either at Dutchman Flat or at Bachelor and skin along the road to Tumalo. Dutchman Flat fills up quick in the mornings with snow machines so if you want to sleep in a bit then you'd likely be better off parking at Bachelor.

See thread: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=32287.0

Todd Lk/Ridge would be up your alley. Tumalo if you want to run into more people, or for a shorter & more straightforward ski.

See COAA for a conditions report (not mine) from 12/29

http://coavalanche.org/

If you're on Facebook, go to the Central Oregon Avalanche Association page and check out the pics someone shared there yesterday morning.