Traverses

steelfrog

So, dumb questions probably.

I scouted out the Bailey Traverse this past September while doing a traverse of the Tatoosh and Rainier. But I have now been studying 3 other traverses--Nooksack, Ptarmigan and Pickets.

I'm looking to do one of these in the summer. Ptarmigan looks most intriguing; and I'm thinking that would be a 5 day 4 nighter?

Nooksack looks like a maybe 3 dayer.

Pickets looks beastly, and is the least likely for me.

My experience in the North Cascades is one trip there, up the Sahale Arm; day trip. My general experience is much rock climbing etc in the Sierra, Colorado, desert ranges; I have ropes and glacier travel experience. Not looking for specifics, more general sense of best season for these as well as overall views, experience, etc.

I am also eying Alpine Lakes region and would accept any other suggestions!

Many thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how fast you move obviously but Ptarmigan gets done in single 24 hour pushes, a typical traverse itinerary is easy in 3 days including some summits incl Dome, you certainly don't need 5 days but it would make the trip extremely casual.

I've tried Pickets N to S once and it is a different animal completely, it will be more time consuming and difficult. I have not completed this one.

I dont know if your chosen time of year will jive well with a Shuksan-Nooksack trip, the better time to travel might be earlier in the summer for more snow coverage.

There are other classic trips including an Entiat - Buck Creek pass loop you can construct, that might include things like Walrus Gl. etc..