Right wing lunacy

glassgowkiss

Not as good or as funny as Monty Python references I'm afraid.

Monty Python is definitely favored by lefties.

However, I will gladly fart in your general direction ;-)

don't get it cause Monty's entire stick from the TV series is making fun against their government. Ministry of funny walks? Government bashing is a conservative issue and Monty did plenty of that.

Maybe it is not that there are no funny conservative entertainers but rather conservatives don't have a sense of humor.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning!

There aren't many conservative comedians - and the whole handful (Gutfeld, Miller, et al) employ put down humor almost exclusively, and it's always partisan. Find the hipster/airhead hippy chick or other liberal stereotype - you know the drill. It's all cringe jokes. Bigger, more highly paid things hitting littler, less highly paid things.

The conservative sense of humor is limited because conservatives are often, by definition, easily offended, and therefore defensive. They Just Don't Go There - and There is a very big place, and getting bigger as society modernizes. They are more concerned with adhering to social norms, hence the typical "You're (crazy, on meds, sociopathic, anti-American...) routine, as well as their discomfort with 'liberal humor' - which is most humor, actually. Sexual connotation, unless it involves a bag of dicks or some form of ass rape, makes them uncomfortable - hence the apoplectic reaction to the word 'fetishist' - an accurate descriptor for the self affirmation and pleasure many conservatives seem to gain from their firearms.

I refer to social conservatives, of course. Fiscal conservatives can be positively libertine. But then, so can social conservatives when no one is watching.

Monty Python is definitely favored by lefties.

i've oft noted this and chock it up to the tendency of conservatives to take everythign literally, and thus complete bafflement ensues when they are confronted w/ satire - voltaire didn't go over so good back in the day neither :)

that and, well, a whole lotta righties do actually believe in magic cups and bearded fellers hiding behind clouds and get a mort suspicious when they figure they're being made fun of.

BTW, Curiosity has detected, for the first time, organic molecules on Mars. They are not necessarily of biological origin, but do provide the first definitive evidence that at least some of the molecular precursors necessary for life existed on Mars, which had conditions suitable for life about the time life first evolved on Earth.

If you want to hear both sides - there's always Bill Maher, Dog love 'im. If you want pure genius - John Oliver.

Speaking of Dog - where the HELL did all the nativity scenes run off to this year? I can't find a Baby Jebus to steal to save my eternal life this year. A Christmas Tradition - shattered.

Stealing a piece of someone's joy out of their nativity scene. How progressive. If this is what constitutes humor on the left then I guess I'll pass.

Which legislators are you talking about, specifically?

I'm not disputing their existence, but the only Republicans that I can think of off of the top of my head that have been taking vocal anti-drone positions are guys like Rand Paul, who wasn't even in office when GWB was at the helm - and at least in Paul's case, seems to have been a non-interventionist for all of his adult life.

Here's a link to a talking head: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/pro-life-means-anti-drone/

You're probably right about the legislators, aside from Paul and Wyden (50/50 split on the parties there) no one is kicking up much fuss. It was that American Conservative article that put the notion in my mind I think, probably supported by some random fringe tea party drivel that was less memorable. Most Democrats aren't much stirred up about it either, until you get more out to the edges in territory like Huffington Post or The Green Party and such. I think it's a fine example of the same sort of hypocrisy I'm griping about on the left. I guess the majority in both parties are more concerned about dead children at a school killed by them than dead children killed by us using drones.

Just so Fairweather can follow along on what I'm alluding to:

this versus this

Anyhow - is your claim here that only the right finds convenient excuses for violations of their ideals when they're part of the means to an end that they believe justifies them?

Seems like that'd be a tough argument to carry very far unless we strike the entire history of of the left's, err...concessions...on behalf of various regimes pursuing collectivist ends to their logical conclusion from the time of Robespierre to the present, no?

Where did I say that Jay? It's a pretty common human failing, not limited to any party or ideology. However, the whole "Mommy mommy, Timmy is being bad too!" thing is just a smokescreen, not a rebuttal. Other people doing bad things does not excuse doing them yourself.

dennis miller's plenty funny, though i've seen little of him since his flight to fox

I don't really see comedy as a right left thing at all. Not sure many people do. Those who have allowed their comedy to descend into partisanship simply become unfunny. Some on the left even become downright bitter and unwatchable, e.g. Letterman, Al Franken, with Colbert well on the way.

Edited by Fairweather

meh, Colbert is funny. But if you are a conservative who is incapable of laughing at yourself, I could see why you wouldn't be a fan. The whole Colbert brand of humor seems to have been a reaction to the Bill O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and other far right wing shock boys.

Never been a fan of Letterman or Franken.

But of course its worth mentioning that we're just talking about our personal opinions here. And I personally do think it is possible to be partisan and be funny, and I do think that it is something that conservatives fail to do for what ever reason. I wouldn't describe them as bitter though...just not funny to me...and apparently to most people.

I suppose you don't care for George Carlin or Louis CK either.

bills hicks? lenny bruce? lewis black? super easy to rattle off politically liberal comedians, not so easy on the other side of the spectrum, though yes they're not incapable of humor - reading a biography of cicero at the moment and he apparently was renowed for his sense of humor, and rather conservative in his politics.