Right wing lunacy

glassgowkiss

In the end, the new generation - not as enamored with guns as those it will replace, may solve the problem of extreme gun fetishism in the US. Who knows?

Good luck with that. I've never seen a new generation as pumped up about semi-automatic rifles, full-capacity handguns, and honoring the 2nd Amendment as this generation coming up. The only place I see any indication that America's young adults and youth are less pro-gun is the mouths of anti-gunners like you.

Fortunately for the rest of us, saying it's so ain't make it so.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you know this. You know that for every New York Times internet poll that shows a decline in gun stoke, there are 50 reliable studies that show ownership is up, especially among "assault weapons," and that stoke is mega high. There are more gun dealers, better gun laws across the nation, more gun ranges, more people getting licenses to carry, more ammunition being purchased, etc, etc, than at any other time in history. Eat it.

studies that show ownership is up, especially among "assault weapons," and that stoke is mega high. There are more gun dealers, more gun ranges, more people getting licenses to carry, more ammunition being purchased, etc, etc, than at any other time in history. Eat it.

it is this aggressive attitude about gun ownership that is the most disturbing and IMO the reason why the recent gun initiative passed. If gun owners came across as sensible and responsible individuals, non gun owners wouldn't give a crap about people owning guns.

NRA says that people kill people not guns killing people. When we hear such aggression coming from gun owners,(even such a minor comment such as "eat it") it is not a big leap to think it would be good to get guns out of these peoples hands. There are many pro gun activists that say the craziest shit and it scares the bejessus out of the rest of the country. A few bad apples ruining it for the rest of the playground?

studies that show ownership is up, especially among "assault weapons," and that stoke is mega high. There are more gun dealers, more gun ranges, more people getting licenses to carry, more ammunition being purchased, etc, etc, than at any other time in history. Eat it.

it is this aggressive attitude about gun ownership that is the most disturbing and IMO the reason why the recent gun initiative passed. If gun owners came across as sensible and responsible individuals, non gun owners wouldn't give a crap about people owning guns.

NRA says that people kill people not guns killing people. When we hear such aggression coming from gun owners,(even such a minor comment such as "eat it") it is not a big leap to think it would be good to get guns out of these peoples hands. There are many pro gun activists that say the craziest shit and it scares the bejessus out of the rest of the country. A few bad apples ruining it for the rest of the playground?

The fierceness with which gun people defend gun rights comes from a century of constantly battling new gun control legislation and the knowledge that there's a very mean minority absolutely bent on restricting our rights. It also comes from the fact that gun ownership is unfortunately primarily represented by conservative/Republican/Tea Party types who automatically repulse anyone left-of-center- which is more to the point; gun control isn't about gun control, it's about people control and spite. Anti-gunners don't hate guns, they hate YOU (Mr. Gun Owner), and they know your guns are the best way to get at you.

How can you blame people for having an aggressive attitude? The laws on the books are complete bullshit, from a Constitutional perspective. We've finally turned the tide a bit in the last decade and the lawsare easing up and becoming more reasonable, but the topic has also become more polarized- so you have pockets of major resistance to liberalization, often founded on media-fueled and sensationalized mass shootings.

But you know as well as I that the crazies you see on TV are never representative of the whole. The media doesn't interview calm people at rallies and protests- they show the asshats that are going to get them ratings and deepen the polarization that makes them billions. Dudes walking into McDonalds with AKs slung down their backs are fucking retards of the highest caliber, and DO NOT represent the American gun owner.

Gun ownership isn't tracked. We do have gun sales, surveys, and crime stats to work from, however.

Demographics and politics of gun ownership

The takeways.

Younger people own far fewer guns than older.

Northeasterners own fewer guns than the rest of the country.

Republicans own more guns than Democrats.

Conservatives own more guns than liberals.

Rural people own more guns than urban people.

Considering that America is urbanizing, older folks are dying off, younger folks are (far) more socially liberal, and that the popularity of blood sports involving guns is no the decline, this data indicates the likelihood of a decline in gun fetishism in the coming decades.

Gun proponents will cite short term upticks in gun sales since 2005. Long term trend? A response to Obamaphobia? War fever (wars do provide great marketing for kill toys)? Blip or long term trend?

We'll see.

the overwhelming passage of I594 a) indicates that in at least one western state voters want the gun violence to stop and they're willing to put limits on gun ownership to do it, and b) provides a successful blueprint for other states to follow suit.

And actually, Ben, I can discern no difference between your insulting, aggressive, pro-violence statements and the rest of the gun fetishists I've encountered on the internet. The general web behavior of gun fetishists on the web is mostly homogeneous in this regard. You don't strike me as calm and reasonable at all, at least not in this format. Quite the opposite.

Here's a hint - gun control isn't about hating anyone. While there is some concern about the number of aggressive, paranoid, mostly older men in this country being heavily armed, the main concern is about reducing the very high number of people who are shot in this country. The 'armed, polite society' is bullshit, of course - few gun fetishists even believe that whopper. If that were true, the Wild West would have been quiet and Johannesburg would be the safest city in the world.

So gun control proponents enact a few reasonable safeguards - like background checks (duh) and time/place/manner restrictions (bars, schools). The gun fetishists invariably freak out - little wonder they haven't won the trust of the rest of the population.

And actually, Ben, I can discern no difference between your insulting, aggressive, pro-violence statements and the rest of the gun fetishists I've encountered on the internet. The general web behavior of gun fetishists on the web is mostly homogeneous in this regard. You don't strike me as calm and reasonable at all, at least not in this format. Quite the opposite.

Yea bro... I think you're a flaming fucking moron... so if you pick up hostility from me, it's no surprise at all.

And actually, Ben, I can discern no difference between your insulting, aggressive, pro-violence statements... The general web behavior of gun fetishists on the web is mostly homogeneous in this regard. You don't strike me as calm and reasonable at all, at least not in this format. Quite the opposite.

Pot, kettle, black from the local left-wing cc.com sociopath. :lmao:

Ben, I wouldn't let TTK get you too riled up. His position on constitutionally-protected rights is weak--despite his latest ACLU charade. For example, I wouldn't expect to hear him to refer to any of the five First Amendment rights as "fetishes." Nor their proponents as fetishizers. No doubt he believes he is single-handedly changing the narrative re guns with the use of this word. He's like that.

Ben, I wouldn't let TTK get you too riled up. His position on constitutionally-protected rights is weak--despite his latest ACLU charade. For example, I wouldn't expect to hear him to refer to any of the five First Amendment rights as "fetishes." Nor their proponents as fetishizers. No doubt he believes he is single-handedly changing the narrative re guns with the use of this word. He's like that.

:tup:

He doesn't give a shit about the Constitution. It's just one of about 30 different flags he keeps in his pocket to suit his current bullshit argument... many of which, as you've noted, are completely contradictory. This is why I can't humor his bullshit. I can take any ism you've got up your sleeve, but hypocriticism I cannot abide.

Here's a hint - gun control isn't about hating anyone.

Is that why you led with the gun related insults? Just a few seconds on gun control advocacy social media sites clearly demonstrates there is a vitriolic us vs. them mentality. Gun control is demonstrably about more than just controlling violence.

Is that why you led with the gun related insults? Just a few seconds on gun control advocacy social media sites clearly demonstrates there is a vitriolic us vs. them mentality. Gun control is demonstrably about more than just controlling violence.

do tell us what gun control is about. Being that gun control comes from voter mandate. (the feds are under the firm grip of NRA so there is no chance of gun control coming from big brother) what do the voters have as far as a grand scheme for gun control?

Gun control advocacy media sites may not be a good resource for what the truth really is. One could call it a unbiased fact source. Any gun based vitriolic us vs them mentality is a story told by the people selling fear of "takin our guns away".

Gun control is a dead issue. Kinda like abortion. Settled, like it or not. The debate is over; the status quo is the equilibrium of a long, long discussion. Heller sealed it. If you want to affect change at this point, amend the Constitution. (Good luck with that.) Otherwise, save your breath.

Edited by Fairweather

Ah, the innernut gun lobby. Such charmers.

Butch's Guns, our (former) local shooter's boutique, has just been replaced by a hipster bar.

I love this town!

I 594 proved that gun control is very much a live issue. WA just provided a blueprint initiative for other states to mimic - particularly considering that the NRA finally got its ass soundly handed to it by our wonderful voters.

Stay tuned for further hijinks.

Heller was a big nothing. 48 out of 50 states already had the right to carry for self protection explicitly included in their constitutions. A large body of precedence continues to grant the state the right to regulate gun carry, ownership, and sale/transfer in a number of ways without constitutional challenge. Heller changed none of that.

Ah, the innernut gun lobby. Such charmers.

Butch's Guns, our (former) local shooter's boutique, has just been replaced by a hipster bar.

I love this town!

I 594 proved that gun control is very much a live issue. WA just provided a blueprint initiative for other states to mimic - particularly considering that the NRA finally got its ass soundly handed to it by our wonderful voters.

Stay tuned for further hijinks.

Heller was a big nothing. 48 out of 50 states already had the right to carry for self protection explicitly included in their constitutions. A large body of precedence continues to grant the state the right to regulate gun carry, ownership, and sale/transfer in a number of ways without constitutional challenge. Heller changed none of that.

You wish, Heller confirmed the right of the individual to bear arms. There hadn't been an individual mandate in 100 years.

OMG, background checks for keeping guns away from the mentally ill. 9_9 Wasn't really a tough sell. Anyhow, it's rare to see Seattle libs so excited about so little so I'm happy for them as they socialize in their hipster bar. Cuz I suspect they're about to shoot their whole wad on the laundry list next cycle. I've already heard one poindexter getting all gooey about a state-wide "assault weapons" ban--and a lock-up-yer-guns-at-home type scheme. (Didn't we already reject that one, by, like, 78%?) Anyhow, good luck. :lmao:

do tell us what gun control is about. Being that gun control comes from voter mandate. (the feds are under the firm grip of NRA so there is no chance of gun control coming from big brother) what do the voters have as far as a grand scheme for gun control?

Gun control advocacy media sites may not be a good resource for what the truth really is. One could call it a unbiased fact source. Any gun based vitriolic us vs them mentality is a story told by the people selling fear of "takin our guns away".

Its just about plain old control. Gun ownership is a wedge issue and gun control is a plank of the left. Gun control zealots are as bad as religious zealots. SSDD.

Hey junior lawyer asperger boy, you're not allowed to just make shit up like when you were in the navy. 9_9 You're wrong about all of the above, but, specifically, the McDonald v Chicago decision comes to mind.