BD epic 45 vs. BD speed 40

mzvarner

Been away from the climbing/ skiing world for a few years and now I am in the market for a new "do it all" pack. I currently have a Cilo gear 40b worksack. I have had it for a number of years, but I have always had problems carrying loads comfortably.

I have used BD packs in the past and was really happy with them. I have also used Osprey, but prefer to stay away from them as they just seem to have to many "things" on them.

So I have kind of narrowed it down to the Epic 45 which seems to be a beefier version of the Speed 40. How are you guys liking the active suspension? I ride a splitboard so how does carrying skis handle with them?

Any other packs I should look at before making a decision? I would like to stay away from company's like CCW and Cilogear because I want to be able to try before I buy.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experience with the Epic, but I do have a Speed 40. I carried skis with it once and that was enough. The material can't stand up to ski edges and the frame is far too weak. I like it as a climbing pack as long as I keep the weight down. The active suspension also causes the pack to make some unexpected movements, but that might be personal preference.

Load one up at REI and see how you like it.

Lowe Alpine makes very good stuff, but I haven't used any of their newer stuff so I can't make an informed comment - seems to be very well build from handling their attack series in the shops.

I have a new BD speed 30 - and I really like the activ suspension. It feels a bit weird at first but I find it comfortable after you get used to it. I agree with the other person that said that the fabric is too light for extended ski use - I would opt for the Epic series or the Axis - and I think the 2013 series is built with higher denier fabrics than the 2014 models, plus BD has them on sale.

I splitboard & I own a BD speed40, but I refuse to use it to splitboard since I'm totally convinced that the active suspension would be a nightmare. If you had to use it, you'd get used to it, but the fact that you swing the entire pack around every time you turn is hard enough if the pack's heavy, without the pack also moving independently. I use the BD for climbing only & I love it for that.

I use a Mammut spindrift 40 to split with, and it's great, doesn't fit quite as well as the BD pack, but good enough. The Mammut pack has 4 front fixings so you can lash you board on the front as a solid, also it carries split skis well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used a speed 40 on a few overnight to multi-day trips as well as touring to approach ice climbs. As stated above, the "active suspension" was really not appreciated while riding. I had to really crank down the shoulder straps to try to reduce the movement. If you have a dry approach with an a-frame and boots it really weights your shoulders, then again I've never found a pack that I felt carried great in that case.

I normally avoid the crazy retail, but dead bird khamski line would be worth a look for an overnight pack. I've been using their quintic for day tours this year and the fit, features and detailing are great. Khamski is pretty light for a featured pack with 420 fabric. Don't forget to bring a starbucks mocha with you at the start of tours though.