[TR] Lennox Mountain - Goat Basin Ice 12/7/2014

bellows

Trip: Lennox Mountain - Goat Basin Ice

Date: 12/7/2014

Trip Report:

J Allen and I suffered up a 4 hour bushwhack and scramble to find some good ice in Goat Basin below Lennox Mountain on Sunday. We were able to climb a fun unnamed two pitch WI3 line to the right of the named lines from the WA State Ice book. Most of the named lines were thin and falling apart, but their potential looked amazing from the bluff across the lake. If it weren’t for the hideous approach this place would be money! For folks that have been up there later in the winter, how much does snow ease the approach? I’m still picking devils club thorns from my shins and palms.

In the lower basin after crashing through trees & devils club:

image205.jpg

Starting up the boulder field:

image206.jpg

Awesome views from across the lake. I think Sno Sense is second from the left and Jokers & Prophets center right, then Khusia and Spilt Decision far right both starting at the bottom of the big V (???):

image207.jpg

Further right was the best looking ice in the basin, two pitches of WI3:

image209.jpg

My iphone mostly went in my pocket when we got down to business but I did manage to get an action pic on the second pitch:

image208.jpg

Unfortunately a late start and long approach only left us time for the single climb, then a thrash out in the dark. I second the book recommendation to bring a tent and spend some time up in the basin. So much ice potential!

Approach Notes:

Wait of more snow? Bring a machete?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome views from across the lake. I think Sno Sense is second from the left and Jokers & Prophets center right, then Khusia and Spilt Decision far right both starting at the bottom of the big V (???):

image207.jpg

Nice work getting up there, in normal conditions I would expect about a 2.5 hour approach with some snow filling in the holes and covering a lot of the brush, so without snow -4 hours- seems like low ROI, but all the better that you made the effort!

The climbs themselves are relatively sheltered from direct threat by the trees above, but there is definitely hazard on the approach in normal snow years. The climbs are snowmelt fed, so the reason they are thin is because there isn't much feeding them yet.

It's a hard place to time right. I think if there was a car-accessible spot to see the basin's condition, it would be visited more often.