DIY Synthetic bag styled like the FF Vireo ?

JP Peters

I use the FF Vireo UL for all my climbs and with success. However, a trip up to Shuksan this past summer got us caught out in the rain for 2 days. The kind of rain where you fill your nalgene up in a matter of minutes from drips the stream running off the tarp. Not exactly the Vireo's niche environment.

I did some digging on the webs but have not found a synthetic bag like the Vireo so I'm going to make one. My wife is an excellent seamstress so it's worth a serious attempt. I'd like input on materials and patterns if anybody has also done some experimentation. I'm leaning towards Primaloft Sport and Pertex Endurance.

In the meantime were going to chop up an old REI bag with Polarguard and see what we come up with.

Input would be appreciated I know someone has had to have tried/botched this by now.

-Joe

• Like 1

I pitched the idea of modifying a synthetic bag by removing the zipper and hood to make a bag like a Vireo to a friend who sews. She did not think it would be that hard and agreed to do it for me, but I have not found the right (read cheap enough) synthetic bag to sacrifice.

You might want to check out thru-hiker.com They have kits for quilts (down or synthetic) that you could modify into an enclosed bag.

From what I have read, Primaloft doesn't hold up as well for a bag so most people are using Apex. Also, Apex doesn't require stitching every 12in. or so like Primaloft so you can stitch around the perimeter and be done.

I have been reading a lot on backpackinglight.com and they have tons of useful information. My current project is a synthetic overbag/quilt to extend the rating of my down bag and to keep the condensation point above it so it doesn't wet out.

You might want to check out thru-hiker.com They have kits for quilts (down or synthetic) that you could modify into an enclosed bag.

From what I have read, Primaloft doesn't hold up as well for a bag so most people are using Apex. Also, Apex doesn't require stitching every 12in. or so like Primaloft so you can stitch around the perimeter and be done.

Thanks I'll check that out.