Feathered Friends

cracked

I went there today, specifically to buy some ice screws. They had a bunch of 16cm BD turbo screws at 20% off, so I bought four. They were also friendly enough to warn me about their no returns policy before they charged me. I then went over to REI to check out gloves. After waiting for half an hour they told me that they didn't have any BD drytool gloves and they wouldn't have any for a while. Disgusted, I headed back over to FF, where they had many, many, many gloves. While paying for the gloves I mentioned that I had forgotten to tell them that I am tax-exempt (being from OR). They were kind enough to give me the tax that I had paid on the screws back! Plus, the shop is very well-stocked, the staff actually climbs (!), and I really like the atmosphere. (If sales increase due to this post, guys, feel free to send me an Icefloe jacket, size large.)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the ones that are black and have padding in the fingers and knuckles. They are low volume, warm and supple. But not very waterproof. Great for leading.

The Dry Tool Gloves are nice too. But if you haven't used them yet I would exchange them for any of the Cloudveil gloves.

I had the older version of the Dry Tool. The Scholler fabric was mush thicker than the new ones, but the leather disintigrated after one season of moderate use, and then the Scholler got holes in it from handeling the rope. The new version seems thin and not warm enough to me...but thats just an opion gained from trying them on in the store. They are overpriced compared to other gloves out there.

I also tried the REI glove in Montana. It has a leather palm and some water resistant/breathable fabric. I used them on every route. They got wet, but are a good glove for 50$.

If I remember correctly, at FF they cost 75 versus 60 for the BD. What the hell, I'll use the BD. If they suck, I'll spray, if they rock, I'll spray. BUT, if they suck, I will try the CV gloves. (Being a gear slut is easier when you have money. I don't.)

Yeah, don't get me wrong...the Dry Tool glove is way better than any of those big poofy overdone gloves that you can't use your fingers with. You will love them.

I am just bummed that mine fell apart so quick because I really enjoyed climbing and skiing in them. Hopefully this years series are more durable, so you won't have to buy a new pair next year. My advice would be to avoid belaying and rappeling with them.

Have fun! bigdrink.gif

• 3 months later...
Lambone said:

I also tried the REI glove in Montana. It has a leather palm and some water resistant/breathable fabric. I used them on every route. They got wet, but are a good glove for 50$.

REI Powershield gloves for $44? I have a pair and I feel they get wet too easily. I'm going to try treating the leather and putting a DWR on the stretch woven and see if that helps. Otherwise, they're great gloves.

I have those cloudveil gloves. best glove I have owned period. so far they've taken all the abuse I've given them. I don't know where the $75 came from, I think they are like $49 retail at FF or any other store. They blow away the BD dry tool glove, IMHO.

When I stopped by today, FF had Jim's new edition, but REI did not.

However, not any of:

University Bookstore

UVillage Barnes and Noble

REI

Feathered Friends

Mountaineers Bookstore

had the Falcon Self-Rescue book. Bastards. I wasted an entire afternoon hunting for the book before ordering it online and paying more than the cost of the book itself for expedited shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...