Thanks for the Dictator

Fairweather

I don't actually know how to rate a presidency anymore, but I can note that when Obama entered office he was inheriting a flaming bag of shit, some even predicting a huge collapse. And now the economy seems to be doing quite well. In the meantime a huge number of things have also occurred that I don't agree with happened as well, at Obama's watch or at his direction.

Now the opposition to anybody is going to draw it up as the worst ever, he's a dictator, etc. But the country does seem to be in a better place than when Obama took charge. Does anyone dispute that? Is there some way the conservatives can claim that it was all their doing?

I mean you can talk all day long and smear all you want, but results are results. I'm not saying I'm super happy with everything Obama has done, but we do seem to be less inclined to fall directly into the shitter at the moment at least.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all the world looks like an asshole, perhaps one's own specs are due for a wipe.

This administration has done an incredible job of turning around several really terrible situations it inherited from the Psycho-morons. There are probably few other presidents in history who could have pulled that off. After all, most of them are dead.

But lets face it - presidential administrations wag the tail of the social progress dog. States lead the way there - when enough turn the tide, the feds follow.

That's one of many reasons why WA is such a great place. Marital equality, ending the Drug War, gun regulation (finely), death penalty moratorium, police reform - our state isn't the biggest nor does it swing national elections - but it leads by example in no uncertain terms in several key areas. Now if we could just figure out how to dig a tunnel....

Then there's the lunatic in the closet that is the Supreme Court. Magic Nineball - are you with me or agin me today?

I don't actually know how to rate a presidency anymore, but I can note that when Obama entered office he was inheriting a flaming bag of shit, some even predicting a huge collapse. And now the economy seems to be doing quite well. In the meantime a huge number of things have also occurred that I don't agree with happened as well, at Obama's watch or at his direction.

Now the opposition to anybody is going to draw it up as the worst ever, he's a dictator, etc. But the country does seem to be in a better place than when Obama took charge. Does anyone dispute that? Is there some way the conservatives can claim that it was all their doing?

I mean you can talk all day long and smear all you want, but results are results. I'm not saying I'm super happy with everything Obama has done, but we do seem to be less inclined to fall directly into the shitter at the moment at least.

The economy has improved during the Obama administration but I can't really think of anything else that is better today than under Bush. My insurance has tripled, our government smuggled weapons into Mexico (Mexicans and a BP officer died) and then covered it up, the attorney general was held in contempt and then threatened by a federal judge, an IRS scandal, heightened race relations tension, etc. The parts of the government Obama actually has direct control over, or heavy influence, is actually in the shitter. But yeah, the economy is better so I guess we have that.

clinton is the only one to leave more popular than he entered, reagan was near though - reagan's i reckon was part sympathy for his waning mind and the near-end of the cold war, clinton's also sympathy for getting his dick caught in the cookie jar like so many others in this great land, plus a booming economy

bottom line is our nation isn't built to like leaders, whatever their party - you can't get to office w/o making a great many promises, and of course you can't deliver more than a fraction of them- your side hates you for compromising at all w/ the other, and similiarly the other side can't help but hate you for not compromising more

That's one of many reasons why WA is such a great place. Marital equality, ending the Drug War, gun regulation (finely), death penalty moratorium, police reform - our state isn't the biggest nor does it swing national elections - but it leads by example in no uncertain terms in several key areas. Now if we could just figure out how to dig a tunnel....

I remember when Washington State first commuted Charles Manson's execution, what an example it set.

The economy has improved during the Obama administration but I can't really think of anything else that is better today than under Bush. My insurance has tripled, our government smuggled weapons into Mexico (Mexicans and a BP officer died) and then covered it up, the attorney general was held in contempt and then threatened by a federal judge, an IRS scandal, heightened race relations tension, etc. The parts of the government Obama actually has direct control over, or heavy influence, is actually in the shitter. But yeah, the economy is better so I guess we have that.

Yeah perhaps this is the realist's assessment. Things are not "better" than they were. Looking back, it is easy to idealize the past...like the 50s, etc. Simpler times. Easier to understand. But definitely not great for some people.

But it does have to be true that we are worse off today, because things are not headed for the better...things are only going to get worse. For our kids I hope some things do get better though, which they should.

I remember when Washington State first commuted Charles Manson's execution, what an example it set.

I think you're remembering something that never happened. Why and how could Washington commute a sentence in California, for a California crime?

Good luck with you delusions

Are you better off or worse off than you were when B-Ho took office? I'm better off :-)

Are you better off or worse off than you were when B-Ho took office? I'm better off :-)

So explain me in logical terms why most of your posts are agains the current president and his policies then?

So explain me in logical terms why most of your posts are agains the current president and his policies then?

[video:youtube]

Let's see, ran illegal guns into Mexico, used the NSA to spy on allies and citizens, used the IRS to attack political opponents, killed thousands of innocents with drones, and issued one of the most consequential and unconstitutional orders in decades. Great. Of course, he's issued trillions in promissory notes toward an anemic economic recovery so all is well. 9_9 I suspect if video emerged of Obama killing kittens, OW, ggk, ttk, and the usual suspects would keep the faith and continue to preach about the glory of Dear Leader.