Hyalite Ice Conditions 2014/2015

keenwesh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most climbs are super sunfucked. With more warm spring days in the forecast things are only going to get worse. Crummy way to bring in the last 6 weeks of Hyalite season.

Winter made a comeback for the last two days. Enjoyed the best pow turns of my entire season earlier today on the bowl behind Palace Butte. It was deep! There's more snow in the forecast later this week, so hopefully things get better!

Another Update: I climbed Dialetric Breakdown last Friday. It snapped into shape within a couple days, and will probably stay in for a few more, depending on the temps and how gentle people are when climbing it. First ascent of the season meant fresh ice and a grand time tiptoeing up the 40ish feet of steep ice. Excellent pitch with decent gear. Only comes in every few years, and usually early season.

DSCN1791.JPG

Airborne Ranger has reformed, and looks huge! I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon and will report back. This funky season isn't over yet and keeps dishing out the goods!

Snow conditions are also very good right now. Last few storms have dumped a good amount of the light stuff and it's generally very stable.

Airborne Ranger is gigantic. Place screws at will, it's 15 feet in diameter. Basically like Cleo's, but with a little extra vertical ice and a cool little roof type thing halfway up.

DSCN18481.JPG

You can see there's ice on The Matriarch too, it isn't in yet but is in the realm of possibility. Marc Antony's Wicked Tool is dripping, and awaits a second ascent. If the stars and conditions align it could come in.

Looked across at Dialetric and it hasn't fallen down yet. With the warmer temps today it could have started dripping again and grown a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow Airborne Ranger fell down. It was 20 feet in diameter at the base, so that's pretty scary. Didn't know stuff that big could come off. It's been in the mid fifties to upper sixties in town for the last week or more, sort of cooled off for the last day and a half, but super warm temps will return soon. Personally I would say unless you're going to get on The Nutcracker Hyalite isn't worth coming out for, but all the moderates are still climbable.

This will be my last update for the season, unless we get a good freeze/thaw cycle going in April and I bike up the road.

Basically everything is out or on the way out. I made a naked solo lap through several different routes in the Gallatin Canyon and my nipples never became even slightly firm. It's been in the 60's in town for over a week. I heard a crash coming from the twin falls area this morning and when I looked I realized the source was Cleo's. The entire pillar is now in small pieces at the base.

It has been a short season, with the warm fall and early spring, but so many great routes came in this year I can't really complain. Until next year!