[TR] Mount Hood - McNeil Point 10/18/2014

Holk

Trip: Mount Hood - McNeil Point

Date: 10/18/2014

Trip Report:

In an attempt to recapture a shot of the Sandy Headwall's upper face from many years ago, I went up McNeil Point last Saturday with high hopes of there being fresh snow on the summit.

To my satisfaction there was indeed a good dusting of snow from 10,000 feet and up. During our ascent we ran into the production crew of Uncage The Soul and had a brief but good chat with them. They were on their way toward Snow Dragon and Pure Imagination and had more gear than I could ever hope to own. It looked heavy, to say the least. Keep a lookout for whatever it is they're planning to produce.

The remainder of the trip was extremely pleasant as we sat on the arête between the Glisan and Sandy glaciers and below Cathedral Ridge. Clouds enveloped us from time to time, but typically they rolled and curled on either edge of the knife ridge and we remained graced by the sun.

More photos here on my blog: http://holkphoto.com/mount-hoods-seasonal-forecast/

mcneilpoint-2014_0138.jpg

mcneilpoint-2014_0099.jpg

mcneilpoint-2014_0147.jpg

mcneilpoint-2014_0145.jpg

Gear Notes:

Canon 7D, 70-200mm 4.0-5.6, Manfrotto Tripod

Approach Notes:

Top Spur TH

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Some beautiful video shots. The credits imply that an aerial drone was used in a wilderness area. I think this is crossing the line. They certainly didn't need to use a drone, and it doesn't appear they did, to film inside the cave. I'm guessing it was used for the view looking down on Sandy Glacier.

Until now I have been opposed to regulation of photography on public lands, something the USFS in currently considering. Now I am starting to change my mind.

Some beautiful video shots. The credits imply that an aerial drone was used in a wilderness area. I think this is crossing the line. They certainly didn't need to use a drone, and it doesn't appear they did, to film inside the cave. I'm guessing it was used for the view looking down on Sandy Glacier.

Until now I have been opposed to regulation of photography on public lands, something the USFS in currently considering. Now I am starting to change my mind.

PCG, you might send the folks making the film a note regarding your concerns. You bring up several valid concerns, the drone usage in wilderness and perhaps commercial photography without a permit on public land.

Otherwise the photography was very nice. The story was good as well.

PCG, you might send the folks making the film a note regarding your concerns. You bring up several valid concerns, the drone usage in wilderness and perhaps commercial photography without a permit on public land.

Otherwise the photography was very nice. The story was good as well.

I second ScaredSilly on bringing up your concerns with the company. They are a great outfit and very nice people, so I'm sure they're not looking to break any rules intentionally.

I don't know all of the specifics about regulations regarding drones and where new technology may or may not find loopholes for such regulations.

However, in regards to your second concern, from what I can tell their video has not been used commercially, except for attaching their name to it. If that is the case they're breaking no greater rule than I am, being a part-time photographer, by having taking pictures for personal use and publishing a few on my site. But then again, maybe I am supposed to have a permit for such an act. I've read through the regulations before, but they can be nearly as dense as Leviticus.

I second ScaredSilly on bringing up your concerns with the company. They are a great outfit and very nice people, so I'm sure they're not looking to break any rules intentionally.

I don't know all of the specifics about regulations regarding drones and where new technology may or may not find loopholes for such regulations.

However, in regards to your second concern, from what I can tell their video has not been used commercially, except for attaching their name to it. If that is the case they're breaking no greater rule than I am, being a part-time photographer, by having taking pictures for personal use and publishing a few on my site. But then again, maybe I am supposed to have a permit for such an act. I've read through the regulations before, but they can be nearly as dense as Leviticus.

My only concern is the drone. I think the USFS should draw a firm line and enforce the "no mechanized vehicle" in wilderness areas(this is in Mt. Hood Wilderness), otherwise we'll have them everywhere. I agree with you. I doubt the producers were knowingly breaking the law, just ignorance on their part. I'll write them.

To clarify my last remark, I have never been in favor of requiring permits for photography on USFS land, even for commercial photography. I think we should regulate ourselves. That is why this event gives me pause - they [apparently] brought a drone into a wilderness area and so were not regulating themselves. When we don't regulate ourselves, even if out of ignorance, then we need regulations.

My only concern is the drone ...

To clarify my last remark, I have never been in favor of requiring permits for photography on USFS land, even for commercial photography. I think we should regulate ourselves ... When we don't regulate ourselves, even if out of ignorance, then we need regulations.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.