Seeking Your Opinion - Losing Gear

MrGecko

I'm looking for your opinion on how climbers typically handle this situation.

Situation A - you are climbing a big wall and your partner unpacks things from the haulbag. They set things down on a ledge and neglect to clip them in or secure them. One of your items, let's say a sleeping bag or stuff sack full of clothing, falls off the ledge. Who is responsible for replacing the said items? Is the cost shared in this case?

Situation B - you are climbing with a partner and a piece of gear, lets say a cam, gets stuck and they can't remove it. There isn't much time to deal with it or rap back down and see if you can get it out. Who is responsible for replacing the item? Is the cost shared in this case?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Situation A. Loss was due to neglect. Your partner should offer to pay.

Situation B. Price of doing business, no one is at fault. Split the cost.

x2 - just can't excuse losing shit off a wall, especially super-critical shit like a sleeping bag - that said, i've had gracious partners forgive me for doing stupid shit, so i'd have to consult my own holy-karma wheel before demanding payment :)

Personally, I always offer to pay if my partner's rope/gear gets stuck/lost, but never ask to be repaid if it is my gear/rope that gets lost/stuck. For me, a good partnership is far more valuable than a few dollars for some lost/stuck gear.

If it's a big ticket item, I nudge my partner off the ledge along with it.

That reminds me, I still have a carabiner that belongs to you.

that's okay he has one of mine so just keep it - i of course have 2 of his so i'll just...uh... :)

stuck rope's usually not anyone's fault, unless perhaps it's one of them always-tie-a-knot-in-the-end fellers who then don't clean the knot before pulling hte rope - and that guy's not asking for my money so much as having to prusik the line :)

nope. are you gonna ask me for 1/2 now? :)

'cuz i can get you half 'biner. there's ways dood, you don't wanna know about them, but believe me, i can get you a half a 'biner in 30 minutes - WITH nail-polish :lmao:

Edited by ivan

Partners that exhibit careless behavior need to be made aware of it. My best partners have helped me become a better and safer climber/partner by offering constructive criticism. Have a talk with them and if they are unwilling to acknowledge the issue and address it you might look for someone else to climb with.

That being said, if someone is abrasive and overly critical, they're not much fun to climb with either.

Personally, I always offer to pay if my partner's rope/gear gets stuck/lost, but never ask to be repaid if it is my gear/rope that gets lost/stuck. For me, a good partnership is far more valuable than a few dollars for some lost/stuck gear.

Agreed. Sometimes your just going to loose gear climbing. Taking to it like an accountant is a good way to loose the partner as well.

If it's a big ticket item, I nudge my partner off the ledge along with it.

That reminds me, I still have a carabiner that belongs to you.

What kind? It isn't my other revolver by any chance, is it?

That would be coo.

No, it is an older bent gate carabiner. The gate is purple.

Nailed it.

Good advice from everyone. One other thing that helps sometimes is to talk about it first. I have had partners tell me before the trip that they want to split the cost if anything is damaged, missing, or broken regardless of fault or situation. Makes replacement of things real easy and no awkward moments if something does happen.

Good advice from everyone. One other thing that helps sometimes is to talk about it first. I have had partners tell me before the trip that they want to split the cost if anything is damaged, missing, or broken regardless of fault or situation. Makes replacement of things real easy and no awkward moments if something does happen.

What about damage to ropes like sheath damage, core shots, etc? I never expected my partners to compensate me when my ropes have been damaged and it never occurred to me to offer to compensate my partners for damage to their ropes.

I will often say we bring my rack and your rope (or vice versa) and if I have to leave my gear behind as a rap anchor or whatever I view that similarly to damage my partner's rope may incur.

What about damage to ropes like sheath damage, core shots, etc? I never expected my partners to compensate me when my ropes have been damaged and it never occurred to me to offer to compensate my partners for damage to their ropes.

Yes I should have clarified that normal wear and tear is out. Doesn't mean too much to gear other than the rope.

Agreed. Reality is different if I don't have much cash to spare.