First world problems tear Mazama asunder

num1mc

The solution  

27 members have voted

1. 1. The solution

OMG everybody, the entire view shed of the rich retired MicroSoft and Vulcan attorneys is ruined by the small cabin of a rich architect.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024765926_methowhutxml.html

Kind of funny how what is appropriate is defined by which clique does the talking. Hotels, guide services and helicopters are OK, but small cabins aren't.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that is one ugly f-ing hut. Even without the cement legos laying about. And that smarmy young fembot deciple lecturing the locals about accepting change leads me to believe that wire-guided shoulder fired anti-hut weapons should be issued to all of the poor locals who reside on the valley floor.

...or a rusty old GMC Jimmy pointed downhill with a strong cable attached would probably do the trick too. kundig-hut-02.jpg

I just think a meteor that wiped out everything but La Duc's place would be great

Because no one should be able to move there after you did?

Say, friend, when did you move to Mazama? You'd better say you grew up there or you sure are going to look like a big hypocrite.

I kind of like it, architecturally.

Having driven by it lots of times, I have a hard time seeing what all the fuss is over. In the end it comes down to perspective, I guess. I imagine that the animals who live (or used to live) on the valley floor aren't all that pleased with the development at the lower elevations, even if it doesn't offend the "locals".

Ok, that is one ugly f-ing hut. Even without the cement legos laying about. And that smarmy young fembot deciple lecturing the locals about accepting change leads me to believe that wire-guided shoulder fired anti-hut weapons should be issued to all of the poor locals who reside on the valley floor.

...or a rusty old GMC Jimmy pointed downhill with a strong cable attached would probably do the trick too. kundig-hut-02.jpg

I can just see the VRBO now: 2 BR ultra modern ski-in/ski/out winter retreat w/ panoramic views and ultra modern amenities, including bulletproof glass to keep disgruntled neighbors at bay.

It kind of reminds me of the climbing closure of the Twin Sisters at City of Rocks. The reason given was "pollution of the historic viewshed" because the wagon train settler-colonialists of the 19th century wouldn't have seen climbers. Never mind that when you're on the formation the view is of roads, campsites, and a landscape utterly transformed by overgrazing.

One of the folks in the article complains that they can see the cabin from in or outside their living room. Just means the folks in the cabin have to stare at that house down in the valley. Who's got it worse?

As a life, liberty, and property kind of guy I don't really have a problem with the guy's right to put up the shack on his own little slice of New Seattle. And it sounds like this so-called artist followed the letter of the law. Still, it is an ugly shit hole, IMO. Sounds like the locals think so too. Entertainment value is off the charts.

Cle Elum. Leavenworth. Mazama. Seattle's newest burbs.

Yeah too bad they couldn't stay as backwater former logging towns with an out of control meth problem. But if that's what you prefer, at least you've still got Aberdeen and Darrington, among others.

Well, thank God those backwater hicks now have you & your fellow interlopers there to save them! How soon until LMA finishes work on that new meth clinic?

Sounds like hawt Redmond on Seattle action, more accurately.

The 'locals' in such areas don't usually reach for their attorney-on-speed-dial for such matters, to keep long term relationships friendly and discretion for building on their own property robust.

I like the construction - minimal foundation footprint, small house design, simple materials, solar roof, quick construction (for a shorter duration project and minimal disruption to the community - usually). Kundig'ss other work is really cool. He's definitely a boon to the small house/minimalist movement. I wish more folks would follow his lead.

Anyway, welcome to neo modernism. It's not going away, so hate it if you must - but that's going to be increasingly wasted energy as design and construction continues to move into the future. Sure, I'll miss the fake 2 story entry columns, the gable to the Nth Power rooflines, and mauve neighborhoods of the burbian 90s, but what's a brother to do?

I suppose you'd have to sit in the thing and gaze out to really assess it's aesthetics. Judging from the pics, that's probably a really great experience.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Sounds like hawt Redmond on Seattle action, more accurately.

The 'locals' in such areas don't usually reach for their attorney-on-speed-dial for such matters, to keep long term relationships friendly and discretion for building on their own property robust.

I like the construction - minimal foundation footprint, small house design, simple materials, solar roof, quick construction (for a shorter duration project and minimal disruption to the community - usually). Kundig'ss other work is really cool. He's definitely a boon to the small house/minimalist movement. I wish more folks would follow his lead.

Anyway, welcome to neo modernism. It's not going away, so hate it if you must - but that's going to be increasingly wasted energy as design and construction continues to move into the future. Sure, I'll miss the fake 2 story entry columns, the gable to the Nth Power rooflines, and mauve neighborhoods of the burbian 90s, but what's a brother to do?

I suppose you'd have to sit in the thing and gaze out to really assess it's aesthetics. Judging from the pics, that's probably a really great experience.

I appreciate the small house movement as well--just not that particular unit. And there is something kind of "Linden Hills" about its location that wreaks of social hierarchy. Inadvertent, I'm sure. Or maybe subconscious. Either way, the locals are feeling the love, no?

Any idea who did this one? or where it is? I like it.

d2ba00257ae7d533c981615afacbcdc9.jpg

Edited by Fairweather