South Sister Inquiry- Winter

Bsummers

Greetings y'all,

I have decided to leave the South ( New Orleans) for Thanksgiving break and will be heading to Eugene, Oregon to meet up with cousins. We are all very active and love the outdoors. We will be in the Eugene area from Nov 27-29th.

I would really really like to climb South Sister however I haven't been able to find much information online about climbing it in November. Being the end of November and winter is it not advised to climb South Sister at this time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What else could we do outdoors around the Eugene area that would give us the true Oregon experience?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading feedback.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just have to find out if the road is open beyond Bachelor. If you can get to the trailhead, it should be pretty easy. Might need snowshoes/skies up higher.

I always liked Diamond Pk around Thanksgiving. It's a big little mountain. Easy to get beta, close to eugene.

Or just Mt. Bike around Oakridge.

S.sister trailhead is about 3-3.5 hours drive from Eugene, BTW.

Unless we are having a freakishly bad drought, the road will be closed at Bachelor by Thanksgiving and you'll be looking at a 23 mile day through early season unconsolidated snow.

Edited by wimsey

• 1 month later...