New high-tech tarp. Better than tent?

Pete04

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pyramid tarps have been used for decades in the mountains, often by guide outfits and schools (e.g. NOLS/Outward Bound). In fact, the center pole has been referred to as a 'chastity pole' because it keeps everything kosher between the inhabitants.

I've seen them used at 17k on Denali as cook tents. The only new thing about this one is the fabric, Cuben Fiber which seems to be another flavor of Aramid/Dyneenema/Spectra. A big improvement would be to incorporate large tunnel vents, like those used on Integral Designs tents, to improve air circulation and cut down on condensation.

800507_mega_lght_opn_ltft_web.jpg

3_7_3.jpg

Above are the HMG 4 person pyramid tent and the BD 4 person pyramid tent. I considered both and eventually bought the BD version. They both have a very similar design and nearly the same floor space.

A climbing partner of mine has two HMG packs and they are great, very light and somewhat durable. They are very durable when it comes to stretching and heavy loads but not durable against abrasion and piercing damage. This HMG shelter is the same cuben fiber material.

The BD version is silnylon and costs much less and weights about 2.5 lbs instead of the 1.25 lbs of the HMG shelter. I think either are fine but if you are willing to spend more you can save 1.25 lbs.

I would trust the cuben fiber one just fine in 4 season conditions but it is still never going to be as good as a real 4 season mountaineering tent if you are caught in a storm. I always collapse my pyramid tent during the day so it doesn't blow away and I would not be stoked to ride out a storm in one.

A climbing partner of mine said he "felt like he got away with something" after riding out a tough little storm in a tarp in the Stuart Range. I have quite a bit of faith in these shelters under certain conditions, i.e. base camp type of application.

I would like the one from hyperlite--the 4 person'er, for winter basecamps with a group of 3-4. But it cost a grand, that's crazy.

I'm pretty impressed with this style of tent. It held up admirably on the kautz in 40-45mph winds but my site selection was the limiting factor--as the wind picked up things stretched a bit and I did not have space/hardware to further anchor/keep every part of it taut. Thus it started to move a bit = friction on the rocks used to anchor some of the webbing = webbing rips = more movement. We retreated in the night. But the wind had pushed back multiple parties the day before and it continued, we wouldn't have really climbed much higher anyways.

Kautz-09724.jpg