Attention Bellingham Climbers

TimL

I might be moving to the area and am interested to hear how you like living in Bellingham. How are the people, access to climbing, climbing gyms, cost of living, climbing community, etc? I'm in the final interviewing stages for a job in the area and am looking for a little beta on the area before I commit to moving. Thanks for any and all information.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

B'ham rox if you ask me. I lived there for 5 years and still go up often. The YMCA actually has a decent plactic gym, for a YMCA in bellingham. It's no vertical world in terms of size, but they just expanded. For the cost of a membership at a rock gym you get the whole YMCA membership.

There's always fun stuff to do. The beaver inn has deep fried pickles. The cost of living is cheaper than redmond. As for outdoor climbing, there is bouldering at larabee and a cool slab to boulder on at this little cove on the water right before there, not sure what that's called. Oyster dome has a few climbs on it, though I've never climbed the wall I've sat atop watching after riding up the trail from the I-5 side (blanchard hill trail). You will be close to darrington as well as squirmish (about 2hours methinks).

And dont get me started on the mountain biking.

I would probably move there if I could get a decent job.

Hi Tim. We've actually met. I jump-started your car in the parking lot of Index a month ago.

Climbing access: Squamish, Darrington, Index are all just over 90 miles from town. Erie is often times good all year long and is 45 to 50 minutes from town. Some people hate it. But the climbing is decent and the views are amazing. Good for a spring afternoon. Bouldering at Larrabee State Park (10 minutes from town) can be a pleasant diversion as well. There are other areas near town but they're all pretty much chossy and forgotten (sorry Jason). Alpine climbing in North Cascades is obviously closer than Seattle. Lots of stuff in BC is close as well (i.e. Slesse's less than 70 miles away)

Cost-of-living: Been here to long to compare. Rent is cheap. Buying a house is ridiculously cheap compared to Seattle. Covers at bars are generally non-existent to cheap. Milk is about $3 a gallon. If you've got a decent paying job (most don't) you'll be just fine.

Climbing Gyms: There are two in town. The YMCA just installed a riduclously huge wall (70+ feet tall?)and plans on running it as a real climbing gym rather than a daycare. It will cost you though. Definitely a good place to get a pump.

Community, Climbing and otherwise: This is the city of subdued excitment. It tends to be kind of quiet around here. Maybe it's just me but any sense of climbing community is fractured to nonexistent. The climbing gyms have certainly never been an epi-center. That said, most people here are very open and friendly, we just all tend to stay home at night.

Other perks: Excellent system of trails and parks. Chuckanut Mountains have extensive trail system 10-20 minutes from town. Including a cool cave with an underground lake. Great mountain biking, good beer, good food, blah, blah ,blah.

Curious to see what others have to say......

Yeah, I guess all good things have to come to an end sometime. hellno3d.gif But its not the end yet. bigdrink.gif

Canadian Rockies were good. Did 2 O'clock Falls, SAR's on Ice thru 5.7.0., Grotto Falls and Professor Falls. Fun stuff. Wanna get back up there soon.

Lets get out soon. Maybe you, JG and I can head up to Little Wet.

He doesn't match his screen personna in real life...

He's a good partner cuz he's into every facet of climbing...so, no matter what your game is, he's good for it...Except you trask, you probably got some sick games he wouldn't be interested in... hahaha.gifhahaha.gifmoon.gif

Edited by RuMR