R.I.P. Liz Daley

Eric T

Really sad news coming out of Patagonia today. Liz was a CC poster and a Washington grown climber and Guide.

October 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Liz Daley, a professional climber from Tacoma, dies in avalanche

Posted by Seattle Times staff

Liz Daley, a professional climber, extreme snowboarder and highly regarded guide from Tacoma, died in an avalanche Monday in Patagonia, according to a news release from the American Alpine Institute.

Details of the accident were not yet available, but Daley is reported to have been snowboarding on slopes above Laguna del Desierto about 15 miles north of Fitzroy in southern Argentine Patagonia. When she last wrote she said the weather and conditions were both great, according to the release.

Daley guided mountaineering, ice climbing, and back-country splitboarding in the North Cascades of Washington, rock climbing in Red Rock, Nevada, and expeditions on Mt. McKinley, Alaska. She was a sponsored athlete for Patagonia, Jones Snowboards, and most recently for Eddie Bauer for whom she was on assignment in Patagonia, the release stated. She pursued extreme splitboarding in the North Cascades, in Alaska, and in Chamonix, France, where she spent part of every winter.

2 COMMENTS | More in GENERAL NEWS | Topics: AVALANCHE, CLIMBING, SNOWBOARDING

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awful - wasn't she the one who did the beautiful french tr's w/ hot chicks and cool mediterrean waters? :(

"wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let she who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be her best and only bulwark"

Edited by ivan

"wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our own

let she who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be her best and only bulwark"

How many times have you posted this same message, ivan?

I've lost count.

Do you give any thought to the individual lives of the people you post this for?

Don't grieve. Be warriors. Go out and avenge. Achieve glory in the mountains.

How touching.

----------------------------

I did not know Liz Daley, but my condolences go out to her family and friends.

How many times have you posted this same message, ivan?

I've lost count.

Do you give any thought to the individual lives of the people you post this for?

Don't grieve. Be warriors. Go out and avenge. Achieve glory in the mountains.

How touching.

----------------------------

I did not know Liz Daley, but my condolences go out to her family and friends.

too many times sir, but unlike you i've been very fortunate to not really have known any of them i've said it for well - certainly not close enough to call close friends - i've never felt the true horrid sting and i don't want to either

not that it matters or is relevant here, but that quote has stayed w/ me for the past 20 years since i read it first, i can't recommend the complete work more highly - it's from the most masterful translation of the oldest existing written work in the english language and rings true even today - it must be heard, not read, to be considered rightly as it was intended- life is both heroic and tragic - the monsters we contend with are both real and imagined - our life is meaningless and yet ultimately rendered significant by those who care to remember us

i would have so very much liked to have met this beautiful, wookie-beserker-strong creature

Edited by ivan

Interesting how you can get a sense of a person through their stories, shared on the net. We come to know each other a little through our common avocation. We revel in the successes, and feel the losses too. Sometimes quite deeply, given that we've never actually met someone.

Accepting the loss of a strong, vibrant person such as Liz is particularly difficult even for those of us who did not have the pleasure of meeting her in real life.

Man tho, she did live well!

d

Interesting how you can get a sense of a person through their stories, shared on the net. We come to know each other a little through our common avocation. We revel in the successes, and feel the losses too. Sometimes quite deeply, given that we've never actually met someone.

Accepting the loss of a strong, vibrant person such as Liz is particularly difficult even for those of us who did not have the pleasure of meeting her in real life.

d

Nailed it. What a sad loss.

Long time lurker, first post.

This hit my wife pretty hard when she first heard the news, and has taken a little longer for it to sink in with me.

I met Liz at Western Washington University through some friends (Ralph Backstrom) and came to know her a bit better after my wife ended up in a series of upper level classes as they both finished their degrees in similar fields (Environmenal Edu/Sciences). I was never close with Liz, but my wife became friends with her and I was fortunate enough to become an acquaintance of hers through various WWU Environmental functions that my wife attended (ie kickball, parties, etc.).

She was very much as all have previously described: full of life, vibrant smile, fearless, wonderful spirit. She was a beautiful human being and the world is a slightly dimmer place without her.

d

Nailed it. What a sad loss.

+ 1. While our paths had crossed in the mountains (I wondered who the pretty girl mountain guide was), it was through her wonderful trip reports that I got a sense of who she was; in her words, 'splitter!'.