Amber Alerts

Fairweather

Three days in a row. Overrides my silent mode. Can't be blocked by the carrier (AT&T). Rarely if ever a stranger abduction. Usually one of the parents. I don't want my phone blaring at me at 4am, or during a client meeting, or while I'm driving next to a semi, or while I'm relaxing on the patio with a good beer. Because of someone's custody dispute. I just don't care anymore.

Am I being an ass again?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three days in a row. Overrides my silent mode. Can't be blocked by the carrier (AT&T). Rarely if ever a stranger abduction. Usually one of the parents. I don't want my phone blaring at me at 4am, or during a client meeting, or while I'm driving next to a semi, or while I'm relaxing on the patio with a good beer. Because of someone's custody dispute. I just don't care anymore.

Am I being an ass again?

yes

until that face on the amber alert is someone you know. then it is fuckin important. Someone is in trouble and one can't be bothered to give a simple look? Way to be civil and member of society.

If you can't give a rats ass about an abducted kid, why should anyone give a care about your anti bolts ranting? Why do you hate kids so much? was your local crag bolted by 7 year olds?

until that face on the amber alert is someone you know. then it is fuckin important. Someone is in trouble and one can't be bothered to give a simple look? Way to be civil and member of society.

If you can't give a rats ass about an abducted kid, why should anyone give a care about your anti bolts ranting? Why do you hate kids so much? was your local crag bolted by 7 year olds?

Anti-bolt ranting? Gene, I think you have me confused with someone else.

As for the Amber Alerts, I guess I wouldn't mind them if they were being used for their original purpose--which, I believe, was to notify the public to be on the lookout for a stranger-abducted child. I have yet to receive an alert based on this type of urgency. They have been, without exception, sent out based on parental custody. It's becoming like a car alarm in a parking lot--nobody pays attention any more.

a highly theoretical subject for me as i've chosen the luddite option of just not owning a cell phone

but...how often do you see in the news a parent in a custody dispute abduct their kid and do some horrific shit to them in the name of vengeance? if the intent of the amber alert system is to prevent such nightmares, and if the majority of kids are abducted by such a parent, doesn't this annoyance just make sense? would you prefer such crimes to just be more random?

shit, ya can't even listen to the radio w/o the occasional emergency broadcast test...

Gene-

It's OK. We (or at least I) don't hate kids. I just question the efficacy of the cell phone spam. I think reader boards over roadways is a better way to get the word out. You really only pay attention when it could matter (i.e. when you are out and about driving or walking), the rest of the time I ignore them.

If you knew with 100% certainty that a million Iraqi children were going to be murdered tomorrow you would not lose any sleep tonight. If you knew you were going to lose your pinky finger in a climbing accident tomorrow you would reconsider your plans immediately.

I am sure you can disable the amber alerts on any model of phone you have.

If you knew with 100% certainty that a million Iraqi children were going to be murdered tomorrow you would not lose any sleep tonight. If you knew you were going to lose your pinky finger in a climbing accident tomorrow you would reconsider your plans immediately.

I am sure you can disable the amber alerts on any model of phone you have.

If I knew with 100% certainty that one million Iraqi children were going to be taken from their opiate-addicted fathers by their meth-addicted mothers--despite the ruling of a local sharia judge--I would immediately submerge my Nokia 925 in a five-gallon bucket of water--and mix in some copper-filings just to make sure.